Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > March 20th - A Look at Action in Lake Erie Land

Date: 03/20/24 15:08
March 20th - A Look at Action in Lake Erie Land
Author: train1275

Wednesday March 20, 2024
Vermilion OH
On this date in 1930 American engine builder Clessie Cummins sets a diesel engine speed record with his Cummins Model U diesel powered Packard Roadster at Daytona Beach of 80.4 mph.

Very windy today, chill but sunny.

1. Coal Train westbound. NS Train 546 with coal for Monroe, MI comes past CP 222 on the west side of Vermilion with NS 4587 and 4342. You can't really tell from the photo, but the coal dust was really flying like shrapnel, stinging the face, getting in the eyes and even a few crunchy particles in the teeth. Those are DEEX (Detroit Edison) hoppers in tow.

2. At Joppa Road, a little further west at MP 226, we catch Train 28M with NS 1051 and 1202 heading for Morrisville, PA out of Chicago 63rd Street.

3. And turning around quickly, he's heading for a meet with the L15. I was a little too slow to get a good bead on the meet, but this is the general look of it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/24 15:27 by train1275.

Date: 03/20/24 15:21
Re: March 20th - A Look at Action in Lake Erie Land

4. The 28M is short and he clears quickly, but not quick enough for anything but a going away shot of the L15.

5. In a vison of modernity, NS Train 258 crosses the Vermilion River and races east from Kansas City, MO to its destination in Rutherford, PA. I'm sometimes torn by the adage, "its all junk now". I get that and wish this were a scene of New York Central days with a Mohawk on a fast express, or an E7 on a Mail Train, or even Penn Central SD45's hauling tonnage. But after many years around railroads, I still get a thrill of a passing train, and enjoy watching them go by. 

6. The docks are back in the water here and the season is changing, both by nature with the Spring equinox that occured at 11:06 pm last night, and by the awakening of the seasonal pursuits here in Lake Erie Land.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/24 15:25 by train1275.

Date: 03/20/24 16:55

PART II - After Supper

The 22H was due just after supper, so a quick outing to catch him this evening as the sun was getting low making photos a bit of a challenge.

7. The setting sun illuminates the double track Lake Shore line as it curves westward from Main Street.

8. The moon is very visible up in the blue sky.

9. And with the wires glowing in the background, the 22H with NS 4311 and 1034 comes into town about an hour and twelve minutes after passing Vickers out Toledo way.

Date: 03/20/24 16:57

10. 22H passes the rail park.

11. and the double-stacks glow in the low sun.

That's All for Today.

Date: 03/20/24 20:30
Author: Gonut1

Thanks for the fantastic photos today. Great Stuff. I understand the feeling of seeing a former road's passing of a steamer strutting it's stuff! I too missed most of it. I caught a few bits and pieces. I always look forward to your posts along Lake Erie. Sure looks like a great place to retire. I'm thinking I'll probably work forever. I'm 78 and maybe, just maybe, I'll pull the plug at Eighty. Not sure why? I just enjoy what I do do unlike so many railroaders, perhaps a better career choice? Just saying. 
Gonut

Date: 03/21/24 05:42
Author: dschlegel

Fantastic series!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/21/24 07:58
Author: MacBeau

Interesting light in that last trio of images.
—Mac

Date: 03/22/24 16:44
Author: ns1000

Pic 1 came out nice...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0699 seconds