Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS coal trains to the Port of Baltimore?

Date: 03/27/24 08:59
NS coal trains to the Port of Baltimore?
Author: stevelv

Does anyone have info on effect of the bridge tragedy on NS coal trains to the Consol Marine Terminal in Baltimore?  From trackside observations and HSC rail cam viewing it seems there are at least 3 loaded trains a day heading to Baltimore for export.  Do they have the capacity at the terminal to keep unloading trains until the port reopens or do they plan to reroute some to Lamberts Point?

Date: 03/27/24 14:27
Re: NS coal trains to the Port of Baltimore?
Author: sscannella

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have info on effect of the bridge
> tragedy on NS coal trains to the Consol Marine
> Terminal in Baltimore?  From trackside
> observations and HSC rail cam viewing it seems
> there are at least 3 loaded trains a day heading
> to Baltimore for export.  Do they have the
> capacity at the terminal to keep unloading trains
> until the port reopens or do they plan to reroute
> some to Lamberts Point?

As of today loaded coal trains are still rolling across PA destined for Baltimore (courtey of the PT242.com Horseshoe Curve sighting website)...

Date: 03/27/24 14:29
Author: ts1457

Does NS at the port have any ground storage for coal?

Date: 03/27/24 16:24
Author: raytc1944

I believe that antracite off the Reading & Northren for export out of Baltimore is handled by NS.

Date: 03/27/24 17:06
Author: jgilmore

ts1457 Wrote:
> Does NS at the port have any ground storage for
> coal?

Haven't seen anything yet about NS, but I saw one report where CSX stated they still have capacity in Baltimore to stockpile more coal (but not exactly how much more). Keep in mind that Baltimore has a total export capacity of around 35 million tons per year but hasn't reached that total in years, though they are way up in the last few years. I think the 2023 total is around 20+ milllion t/p/y, but they are the leading export terminal for thermal coal in the US. As for where the coal will go temporarily, Hampton Roads has a capacity around 60 million t/p/y but is only on pace to reach 35 million tons this year, so it would appear that they have the room to take on much more export volume. One analyst I saw made an early guess that 2.5-4 million tons of Baltimore coal could end up at Hampton roads, but of course it all remains to be seen. As mentioned by others, while track and loading capacity is there to handle the shift, the question will be exact routing and crew availability...

JG

Date: 03/28/24 07:19
Author: ns1000

Moving forward, I wouldn't expect to see many coal trains on the NS Pittsburgh Line for awhile. The circulation is that they are going to Lamberts Point via Conway and Sandusky.

As with anything, I emphasize that this is subject to change.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/28/24 07:24
Author: rusticmike6

Sparrows Point is open as it is seaward of the FSK bridge.  Who serves that facility?

Date: 03/28/24 08:17
Author: Gonut1

There are no major coal handling facilities at Sparrows Point.
Go

Date: 03/28/24 11:30
Author: ShortlinesUSA

rusticmike6 Wrote:
> Sparrows Point is open as it is seaward of the FSK
> bridge.  Who serves that facility?

Tradepoint Rail serves the Tradepoint Atlantic logistics center on the former Sparrows Point steel mill site. TPR has connections with both CSX and NS.

As the previous poster mentioned, there are no significant port facilities on this site so far, other than a relatively small (compared to the Dundalk terminal) vehicle handling operation. It is more of a distribution center site than anything at this point.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/28/24 18:39
Author: LX15840

I predict the port will reopen with 2 weeks. They will first isolate the bridge wreckage from the ship by cutting the bridge girders nearest the ship, then lifting off the girders on the ship. They will then tow the ship back to it's port to unload it. Next they will clear the main channel , with explosives if necessary. When they rebuild the bridge they will have to build jettys around the main supports strong enough to stop a ship of any size, much like they did after the Tampa Bay incident. I also recommend they use a cable-stayed type of construction like Tampa Bay.

I believe there was a major error committed by the ship's engineering department in not correctly identifying the cause of the power failure that occurred while the ship was still in port in Baltimore. Two complete power failures should have rendered the vessel as unseaworthy until a very robust testing of the electrical system was conducted.

Date: 03/30/24 07:30
Author: rusticmike6

Like to see the shipping containers that are askew removed BEFORE any work on the bridge section on the bow.  Who knows how much movement might result in a cascade of containers?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds