Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Tyrone,pa

Date: 04/15/24 20:32
Tyrone,pa
Author: scoobydoobydoo

went looking for some NS action and this all i could find running sunday,afternoon,and our new 3 month old railfan  name  Sante fe

Date: 04/15/24 21:11
Re: Tyrone,pa
Author: refarkas

Santa Fe looks like one mighty-contented puppy.
Bob

Date: 04/16/24 03:15
Author: dschlegel

Santa Fe looks like a happy pup!!!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/16/24 07:48
Author: randgust

FYI that 'station' is a political monument.  It was actually built as the "Bud Shuster Intermodal Transportation Center" and supposed to replace the Amshack.   It's on the site of the original Tyron depot that was hit in a PRR derailment (see Robert Reed's "Train Wrecks" for photos).

It was built without putting it on Amtraks radar at all.   Or the states, when I sent construction photos to PADOT they were completely unaware it was even going in.  It was never accepted by Amtrak as it was on the curve, or by Conrail at the time.  So the Amshak stayed.    And it made no sense for busses either.

So it's a community center/museum, but if you know the backstory, one of the most misguided political construction projects of all time for a Congressman's district.

Date: 04/16/24 16:00
Author: scoobydoobydoo

thanks for the info

Date: 04/17/24 10:30
Author: randgust

It's a logical 'Huh??' when you see that new building and then look at the Amshack down the track, that I think just got rebuilt too.

But, the backstory I heard was that with the curve, and the superelevation, step and platform heights were the issues.  I know there are Amtrak stations on curves, but usually there's a speed restriction, a bypass track, or something.    Staunton comes to mind, so does Pittsburgh for the Capitol.   

If I hadn't taken a picture of the bronze plaque with the Shuster name on it when it was first built it would seem like a tall tale, but it isn't.    I'd sent the photos to the DOT and was a little stunned when I got the 'what station?'  Where?   When did that happen? reaction, as well as the 'nobody talked to Conrail or Amtrak'.

As the chair of the transporation subcommittee in the House, this was the least of the things that happened around Tyrone in his district.  To wit...
https://www.cato.org/blog/timely-lesson-bud-shuster-highway

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds