Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NTSB Surveys NS Workers on Safety Culture

Date: 04/16/24 07:02
NTSB Surveys NS Workers on Safety Culture
Author: pt199

Norfolk Southern employees are being surveyed by the National Transportation Safety Board in regard to their employer’s safety culture.
The agency said the survey is part of its special investigation into the NS safety culture following a number of significant accidents at the railroad that date back to December 2021.
An NTSB spokesman acknowledged that such surveys are not a regular occurrence. The survey began April 3 and will wrap up on April 19.
The survey is confidential, voluntary and responses are being collected anonymously. From the akronrrblog 

Date: 04/16/24 07:28
Re: NTSB Surveys NS Workers on Safety Culture
Author: holiwood

NS used to win the Harriman Safety Award every time, now this

Date: 04/16/24 08:10
Author: Lackawanna484

I can't imagine NS is doing this voluntarily.  The volume of data collected could be used in litigation to say "you knew you had this problem years ago, and did nothing".

One company where I worked years ago did a survey looking for sexual harassment, discrimination, etc. There was so much negative data they never ran another survey. I'm aware that several employees subpoenaed the data to prove a hostile work culture when they sued.

Date: 04/16/24 08:58
Author: scraphauler

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't imagine NS is doing this voluntarily. 

There aren't.  The NTSB is doing this.  Doubt many companies "volunteer" for a Federal Colonoscopy.  I fear for the future of NS should they loose the proxy fight next month.  Maybe at least  this NTSB study will establish a baseline at NS that Ancora will be hard pressed to go below.  

Date: 04/16/24 09:01
Author: ShortlinesUSA

You'd be amazed how many people will talk when given a microphone. I suspect the NTSB will get a lot more feedback than they ever expected.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/16/24 09:38
Author: dan7366

The laboratory that I work at did a culture and safety survey a couple years ago, right after some very unpopular changes were implemented by lab leadership.  The survey results were so bad that the Lab Director ended up getting fired retiring five years early.

Dan

Date: 04/16/24 22:49
Author: Drknow

dan7366 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The laboratory that I work at did a culture and
> safety survey a couple years ago, right after some
> very unpopular changes were implemented by lab
> leadership.  The survey results were so bad that
> the Lab Director ended up getting fired retiring
> five years early.
>
> Dan
>  

Oh, yes. The nice golden parachute. Wish I could FUBAR everything at work and retire in about 6 months.

Rome burns.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds