Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Green-ish spray paint, Ashland, VA

Date: 04/17/24 18:09
Green-ish spray paint, Ashland, VA
Author: Chessie1963

Good evening,

I have noticed some spray painted lines of a greenish color on the ties and rails on the Ashland, Va webcam.  Does anyone know what those are all about?

Thank you.

Date: 04/18/24 03:32
Re: Green-ish spray paint, Ashland, VA
Author: CSX2605

Should be for tie replacement. It looks to me like this was done by a special highrail truck that somehow looks at the ties to see which ones need replaced and is painted with those stripes. It has a big box hanging off the back that does all that painting. I don't know if it uses lasers or some sort of optic device to look at the ties. Some get stripes and some don't but the rail is marked where the tie in question is located. I think someone actually walks the line and puts a different kind of mark on the ties to be replaced? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in here. The drone shot shows the yellow stripe painted on the ties to be replace. The first machine through is the regulator to move the ballast then the machine that paints the ties yellow is next.

Date: 04/18/24 13:39
Author: Chessie1963

Fascinating.  Thank you!  I guess I am getting old.  I remember a simple yellow dot on the inside of the rail above the ties to be replaced.  My thought was that these marks represented something different, but I guess not.

I appreciate the info.  

Date: 04/18/24 17:10
Author: engineerinvirginia

Chessie1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fascinating.  Thank you!  I guess I am getting
> old.  I remember a simple yellow dot on the
> inside of the rail above the ties to be replaced.
>  My thought was that these marks represented
> something different, but I guess not.
>
> I appreciate the info.  

Yellow dots still used if ties to replace are picked out by hand....and some roads have a code...where you will see strange markings in, well,  red is one, marks for bad tie, bad joint, bad tie plate....when the crew comes around to make repairs they just look at the marks and know what to do....of course they brought the materials with them they sort of already knew. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds