Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pittsburgh Shortlines and Industrials

Date: 04/18/24 12:02
Pittsburgh Shortlines and Industrials
Author: NormSchultze

I'll be in Pittsburgh in early June.  I've got NS and CSX mostly figured out. But I have little information on the area shortlines/Industrials.   Is Neville Island worth the effort? Ditto McKees Rocks area.   Any help with coorfinates for Union RR tunnels welcome.  I haven't been to Pittsburgh in about 15 years, so many things are changed and I welcome any info and help available.

Date: 04/18/24 18:17
Re: Pittsburgh Shortlines and Industrials
Author: RuleG

Last year, work brought me to McKees Rocks.  Near the intersection of Island Avenue and Chartier Avenue is the locomotive facility for the Pittsburgh & Ohio Central.  Attached is a photo which I quickly snapped which shows a couple of switchers.  I did not observe any other activity and defer to other TO members for more information about this railroad.  The following is a link to a P & OHC web page with a map:

https://www.gwrr.com/pohc/

At Homestead (about a 20-minute drive from Downtown Pittsburgh), Norfolk Southern (ex-Pennsylvania Railroad) and CSX (ex-Pittsburgh & Lake Erie) run parallel to each other.  Additionally, the Union Railroad comes into the area with interchange for NS.   A good place to view the Union Railroad is from the Whitaker Flyover Bridge of the Great Allegheny Passage Trail.  You can park at the Pump House (at the western end of the Waterfront shopping complex in Homestead) and walk about 20 - 30 minutes to the flyover bridge.

Attached is a photo I took last month while walking the Great Allegheny Passage Trail on a Sunday afternoon.  The ramp to the flyerover bridge can be seen to the right of the Union Railroad train.

Have a great time during your visit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/24 08:10 by RuleG.

Date: 04/20/24 05:09
Re: Pittsburgh Shortlines and Industrials
Author: AVR3001

Check out Allegheny Valley Railroad in Pittsburgh with its 77 miles of operations radiating out of Glenwood Yard in the Hazelwood section of Pittsburgh.  More information can be found at Carload Express website.  Here is a view of Glenwood Yard taken by JU Tower several years ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds