Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Yesterday's Boston Line Action

Date: 04/22/24 09:42
Yesterday's Boston Line Action
Author: pennsy3750

I haven't been trackside in quite a while with a project at home keeping me mostly tethered.  Yesterday I had an opening before work, however, and the cabin fever had set in bad enough that I was willing to overlook the cloud cover I knew was coming.  Thusly, I set out for my usual Sunday morning haunt, CSX's former Boston & Abany line.  In Conrail days this was referred to as the Boston Line, but I don't think CSX has ever used that moniker in an official capacity.  My normal MO is to get out of the house as early as I can, hit Dunkin Donuts, and then head west on I-90.  Just before the Palmer exit, I stop the car and use my phone to check a couple trackside webcams, and decide if I need to get to the tracks in Palmer, or if I can make it to Westfield and start up Washington Hill.  On this occasion, morning stalwart I022 from Syracuse was passing the cam just as I opened it on my phone.  Briefly considering speed, time, and distance, I concluded that I probably couldn't beat the train to Westfield, but Springfield was definitely doable if I didn't stray too far from highway access.

1 - I022 passes through Springfield Union Station.  In the distance are I-91 and the parallel bridges over the Connecticut River.

2 - The station is just barely outside the restricted airspace surrounding Westover Air Reserve Base, so the drone got in on the act too, even if I was a tad late on the shutter.

3 - Passing through CP-83 at Palmer and taking the siding, likely to overtake M436.  Palmer Union Station is now the Steaming Tender, which is a bad name for a good restaurant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/24 09:47 by pennsy3750.

Date: 04/22/24 09:46
Re: Yesterday's Boston Line Action

4 - On the other side of the parking lot and around the corner, some of New England Central's "new" Dash 8s sit outside the yard office.

5 - I stayed on I022 until CP-57 in Charlton.  Hot on his heels was 366 axles worth of M436, typically the biggest train on the B&A, announcing its approach with a full-throated roar from three big units digging into Charlton Hill.

6 - Just as I debated going to work early, or even going home for a while, M264 passed the webcam in the Berkshires, so I waited it out at the old Boston & Albany depot in Warren.

Date: 04/22/24 10:11
Author: jgilmore

Great bunch, I haven't been along the B&A in over 30 years...

JG

Date: 04/22/24 10:21
Author: cozephyr

Wonderful Sunday morning outing-!  THANKS for the helpful captions with your great photos.  Love the aerial view at Springfield.

Date: 04/22/24 10:41
Author: JUTower

Really nice Paolo, bringing some modern perspective to locations I've only really seen in the big blue era...

Date: 04/22/24 10:52
Author: md

nice shots, I also havent been to the B&A in sometime, the traffic has been just so sparse and spent to many hours seeing nothing.....maybe when the NS run throughs start it will add the possibility of heritage units, but will NS as a leader require any special cab signals for operating on the MBTA or will they not traverse that area?

whats the story with the old Warren depot?  I hope it can salvaged before it falls apart or worse.

Kind of miss the old NECR painted units, but nice to see some clean power

Date: 04/22/24 11:22
Author: boejoe

Great and interesting photos.  What's the background on the steam loco in the restaurant parking lot?
jb

Date: 04/22/24 23:13

Thanks for the compliments guys.  To answer some questions:

No, NS trains shouldn't need to traverse any MBTA rails for the run to Ayer, so any cab signalled unit (most NS road power at this point) can lead.

The Warren station is in pretty good shape.  I peeked in a window and it is currently vacant, but if a business wanted to set up there, its pretty much move in ready.

Yes, I miss the blue and gold NECR units too.  There are only two left in service on NECR, with one more on the Connecticut Southern.

Not real sure what the story is on the steam engine.  Its a 1916 Porter 0-6-0 built for a sand and gravel operation down south somewhere, that showed up there 15ish years ago when the restaurant was getting off the ground.

Date: 04/23/24 02:59
Author: JPB

Great set of pictures, Paolo! It's good to see one can still get photos at Springfield Union station! And it's impressive were you able to catch I022 at both Springfield and Palmer!

Date: 04/23/24 04:17
Author: raytc1944

Some of the best coverage of the B&A I've seen in a long time.  Thanks!

Date: 04/23/24 17:07
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds