Home Open Account Help 165 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Different Catches Today in Lake Erie Land

Date: 04/26/24 16:35
Different Catches Today in Lake Erie Land
Author: train1275

Friday April 26, 2024
North Central Ohio
Temps in the high 50's with sun.

A nice morning, and I sat home monitoring traffic but it didn't seem worth getting out.
In the afternoon we went to Huron along the Lake Shore line and caught nothing.
We returned via the Nickel Plate and found the 11Q sitting at Mason (West Shinrock). A 316 was "leaving Bellevue" so there would be a meet. But wait, a 315 was coming in from Conneaut and instead of holding at Helen Drive east of KM (Vermilion) he was stopped at GC. So here is the little bit of action caught.

1. Waayyyy across the fields at Mason is the 11Q stopped and waiting for the 316. He is a long monster and has Wickel, Jeffries and Barrows Roads blocked. That means he's sticking out the east end of Shinrock. We finally gave up waiting when we heard 316 on the scanner, and he was still "about to leave Bellevue".  Well nothing can be done with the 11Q, and he is too far away to even pick off the engine numbers here. We know 315 can't move until the mess at Shinrock gets sorted out, so we head for GC.

2. Arriving at GC, and here is the 315. I am not sure if he has Route 60 (Main Street) blocked or not back in Vermilion. His power is UP 5370 and BNSF 4334. The line to the left is the connector to the Chicago Line for Conway - Bellevue trains.

3. After about 5 minutes he whistles off and approaches Coen Road crossing.

Date: 04/26/24 16:38
Re: Different Catches Today in Lake Erie Land

4. BNSF 4334, the 2nd unit on the 315 crossing Coen Road.

5. And there they go towards Shinrock for a meet with the 316. Somehow for the 2nd day in a row we missed the 316.

6. But we did get a few other shots like this Blue Heron looking for a meal.

Date: 04/26/24 16:43

7. - 9. And also found this Green Heron who was also stalking for some fish dinner. BANG !!!! He's goes after a fish and in about three seconds he's brought the fish out and swallowed him whole. I guess he got a good catch today. The last image he's just chill'in near a turtle and working the fish down his gullet. If only the 316 could get out of Bellevue half that fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/24 17:54 by train1275.

Date: 04/27/24 01:45
Author: ClubCar

As always, they are all great photos, and besides the trains, I love the nature photos that you take, and my favorite this time is the last photo with the turtle moving along the ground.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/27/24 04:56
Author: jmbreitigan

I always look forward to some nature photos in your posts. Very nice.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0679 seconds