Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > YN2 Pair Visits DREI's ex B&O Indy-Springfield Route

Date: 05/08/24 13:49
YN2 Pair Visits DREI's ex B&O Indy-Springfield Route
Author: retlaw121

90% of traffic to and from CSX on WATCO's Decatur and Eastern Illinois Railroad is interchanged at Duane yard in Terre Haute, IN. Unit trains however will come and go via the connection at Hillsdale, IN. DREI's topography for the most part is that of corn fields and tiny towns, however for a few miles at this very eastern end of their Decatur Sub, the line takes a dip into the hills and valley nearing the Wabash River. On a very much as needed basis, CSX will hand off grain and ethanol trains to be loaded, emptied, or stored on DREI here. Despite the rain, which turned into a blessing actually, I was made aware of an extra board crew going on duty to grab a grain train bound for ADM's Tuscola,IL elevator. With trains on this part of the line few and far between, and half of the time running at night, I had to take advantage of the opportunity. Even more fun, CSX blessed DREI with a pair of AC4400CWs still in YN2 paint. What ensued was one of the more memorable chases I've made along the Decatur Sub. It should be noted that YN2s aren't a strangers to the line. CSX sold it to Watco in 2018. The line traces it origins to the B&O as part of their Indianapolis - Springfield route. 

1 and 2, With radiators steaming in a steady rain, the IN-63 overpass provided convenient cover for me as the train got up to track speed of 25mph. 

3. The original state line marker installed by the B&O has been well taken care of over the years. It still stands pretty as the train crosses into Illinois from Indiana.

Date: 05/08/24 13:59
Re: YN2 Pair Visits DREI's ex B&O Indy-Springfield Route

4. The train passes the overgrown rails of an out of service elevator loading track in Chrisman, IL, one of many in Illinois and Indiana. Most of these smaller elevators have been bought out by one of big grain companies like ADM, Cargil, and Top Flight, who have decided that trucking was a better option for these, only using rail for larger elevators. Chrisman is where most trains on DREI diverge between the Decatur and Danville Secondary Subs with manifest traffic between Paris, IL (and later Terre Huate, IN) and Decatur, IL 

5. Crossing the former NKP Clover Leaf route, now the sparsely used DREI Charleston Sub, at Metcalf, IL

6. The rain went away not long after I crossed into Illinois, but the overcast stuck around for a while longer. I wasn't complaining too much though as I took advantage of getting some shots on the north side of these tracks for once. 

Date: 05/08/24 14:10

7. Row Row Row your train, gently down the line!!!

8. Rounding one of the few curves on the Decatur Subdivision just east of Chrisman, IL as the line jots over to the northwest for a few hundred feet before swinging back due west. 

9. Slow-rolling through Tuscola, IL on the last leg of the journey. DREI has done a decent job at keeping much of the Decatur sub good for 25mph, but several annoying 10mph slow orders still exist along it's entire length. There are a few permanent 10s however, such as here in Tuscola which I believe the railroad considers yard limits to avoid track warrant headaches between the road trains, the local that works industries and the UP interchange, and the UP local that interchanges with them here in town. 

Date: 05/08/24 15:45
Author: CSX2605

Great series of photos of some B&O property!

Date: 05/08/24 20:46
Author: P

That state line marker is super cool. The rest of your photos are excellent. An obscure location - well done

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds