Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Corman in Van Wert Cty, OH?

Date: 01/07/04 15:49
Corman in Van Wert Cty, OH?
Author: NYCSTL8

Today's Wapakoneta paper has an article which lists R.J.Corman as having r.r.operations in Auglaize, Darke, Mercer and Van Wert Counties. I can account for the first 3, but not Van Wert. Anyone know of an RJC line there? Also, please note my question in the abandoned Ohio r.r. lines thread about the SPV r.r. Atlas. Thank you. Jim in Wapak.

Date: 01/07/04 16:21
Re: Corman in Van Wert Cty, OH?
Author: farmer

my guess would be some of the former spencerville and elgin.

Date: 01/07/04 17:48

Farmer, is there enough of the Big 4/S&E left in V.W. to require a separate operator??

Date: 01/07/04 18:04
Author: toledopatch

Corman has all of the S&E, operated roughly in conjunction with its ex-N&W property southwest of Lima. So if any of the S&E gets into Van Wert County -- I think it does, but I don't have a map handy -- then that's the explanation.

Date: 01/07/04 18:55
Author: eastwayne

The only active lines in the city of Van Wert is the ex Pennsy which CSX owns and a portion of the former Cincinnati Northern. The Corman operates as far west as Elgin, Ohio on the former E.L.

Jason

Date: 01/07/04 18:59
Author: CGTower

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corman has all of the S&E, operated roughly in
> conjunction with its ex-N&W property southwest
> of Lima. So if any of the S&E gets into Van
> Wert County -- I think it does, but I don't have a
> map handy -- then that's the explanation.
>
>

Point of clarity...the Corman does not own the S&E, but is the operator, the Allen County Port Authority actually owns the track. The line is in place to Ohio City, which indeed is within Van Wert county.

CG

Date: 01/08/04 07:04

Thanks, everyone. I didn't realize Ohio City was in V.W. County. IIRC, the rails are paved over on at least one street in Ohio City, so not sure just how far west service still exists. On a related note, there is a road project in Allen County that would cross this track, and noises have been made about too much $$ needed for the crossing, so how 'bout getting rid of the track? This was in the Lima paper couple months ago; haven't read/heard any more about it.

Date: 01/08/04 18:26
Author: dtidave

I remember quite a few years ago when when the S&E Switcher and ex-BN RS1 (or was it an RS3?) was right up along the road there in Ohio City. Last time I went through, there was a pile of green and black rubble where the BN loco used to stand, not sure whatever happend to the Alco Switcher or the ex- VTR RS1's (3's?) over at the grain elevator either. It was a wild trip to catch one of Hi-Rail's Alcos sitting outside the Ohio City engine shed just idling away!

I'm sure all the Alcos are probably gone by now, but other than the BN Alco and boxcar that were cutup, anyone know where the VTR and S&E locos went?

Thanks in advance,
Dave J.... Ohian at heart.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0294 seconds