Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Hamler Ohio Derailment

Date: 01/16/04 15:26
Hamler Ohio Derailment
Author: farmer

Does anyone know when the covered hopper loaded with soybeans derailed on the Southeast tranfer? It was a good thing no one was driving down the street when this happened.

Date: 01/16/04 15:31
Re: Hamler Ohio Derailment
Author: NYCSTL8

I am not familiar with the Hamler layout. Who derailed, CSX or I&O? Thanks. Jim in Wapak.

Date: 01/16/04 15:32

I&O was pushing a loaded grain train around the Southeast tranfer.

Date: 01/16/04 15:33
Author: Throttle_JCKY

Is this the derailment that someone posted about last week or a few days back?

Date: 01/16/04 17:41
Author: CGTower

This happened at on January 6th...so they have not cleaned it up yet? Here is a summary of what happened from a CSX source:

I&O, while shoving 29 loads of grain into the CSX eastbound siding at Hamler, derailed the head 4 cars behind the engines. 3 cars upright and 1 load of grain turned over to the south towards the ditch.

Derailed cars are off in the wye that leads from the I&O to the CSX
eastbound siding. No close clearance to CSX tracks.

There are 39 loads of grain at the east end of the eastbound siding that the I&O delivered earlier today and now 25 loads of grain west of them (these are the cars east of the 4 derailed cars). There 25 loads have Henry Co. Road 8-B blocked, MP BI
69.17, and local authorities know crossing will be blocked until sometime
Wednesday morning, until they can be moved. CSX officials went to Hamler to investigate the derailment and advised where cars are derailed in connection track, we (CSX) maintain that track.

The I&O is taking responsibility for derailment and plan to rerail car and repair track Wednesday morning. M of W will meet with I&O Wednesday to keep check on their progress. Garrett has power to move this grain train which is G190-05 and M of W will advise in the morning a time to call it after he talks with I&O. We can move the 39 and 25 good cars, total 64 cars and train goes to Lima.

CG

Date: 01/16/04 18:06

Thanks CG Tower. I noticed the derailed hopper car on Monday. It is somewhat cleaned up. I have been off at work since the first part of December otherwise I would have known about this. It did not suprise me though. The tie condition is terrible and this had led to a problem of wide gauge.

Date: 01/17/04 08:47
Author: Lakevue

I think you need to be a member to read this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WesternOhioRails/message/5544

Date: 01/17/04 15:22
Author: CGTower

I photoed G190 today at Hamler and indeed the forelorn hopper is still on it's side. Looks like the I&O was working on the track but up and left the job half done. Looks like the south-east connection at Hamler is OOS until further notice.

BTW, G190 had 60 cars out of Hamler.

CG

Date: 01/19/04 05:33
Author: trainmaster3

CGTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CSX
> officials went to Hamler to investigate the
> derailment and advised where cars are derailed in
> connection track, we (CSX) maintain that track.
>
>
> The I&O is taking responsibility for
> derailment and plan to rerail car and repair track
> Wednesday morning. M of W will meet with I&O
> Wednesday to keep check on their progress.
> CG

The track where the derailment occurred was in fact inside the CSXT's maintenance limits, and was also determined to be track related. That was the point at which CSXT took all responsibility for the derailment and the cleanup.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds