Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What will happen in Deshler now that Standley is closed

Date: 03/10/04 09:16
What will happen in Deshler now that Standley is closed
Author: Ster2Block

Would they ever rip out the Toledo Sub north of the diamond?

Date: 03/10/04 10:23
Re: What will happen in Deshler now that Standley is cl
Author: MSchwiebert

A point of clarification, Stanley is not (yet) closed. As for the Toledo Sub north of Deshler, It could always be closed down to through trains as it was from approx. 1980-85 and 1990-97. On the other hand, if you can keep trains away from Fostoria and Leymoyne it would be a benefit. When it was closed the last time, the grain business at Custar & Weston was handled out of Lima, and local business in Perrysburg was handled by a yard job out of Walbridge. A final point to consider, that the most recent resumption of service occured before the Conrail merger - so for a period of almost 2 years the line operated independently of Stanley yard, so the closure of one, does not automatically necessitate the closure of the other.

Date: 03/10/04 10:53

Roger that, sounds good.

Date: 03/10/04 11:23
Author: farmer

With the elevator in Custar loading about 50 unit trains a year (65 cars). I am sure the main is safe to Custar.

Date: 03/10/04 18:28
Re: What will happen in Deshler now that Stanley is clo
Author: Lakevue

I think you mean Stanley, Standley is by the Henry-Defiance county line on the Garrett Sub.

I would venture to say that Tontogany to Deshler is 99% safe. Either CSX would have to shove back to Deshler from Custar or rework Custar to put back the siding that was there at one time. OR they could have the Deshler Farmers use the NW wye for their car loading. That would mean more work for my company and no trains on the NW wye.

Tontogany to Roachton could be put out of service. Y123, usually works the area north of Roachton to Bates. Serving at least 3 industries. Now we're down to about 7 or so miles of track. Haskins and it's approaches.

They are still working on the new defect detector as of yesterday, around 190.2. A signal maintainer was doing PM on the crossings around the 191.4/5 signal. Guys were also welding this week just south of the 191.4/5 signal. It's not dead yet.

One more thing to consider, the Toledo sub saves 20 or so miles on the trip between Deshler and WR tower. It's good 50 MPH track up to Perrysburg, where there is a 25 MPH limit in town. (so Mike can wave to them as they pass his house. ;-o ) The Toledo Terminal is (or was) good for 30 MPH.

The best part is we get to see the changes as they happen. Good or bad! See ya,

LV

Date: 03/10/04 20:44

Lakevue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you mean Stanley, Standley is by the
> Henry-Defiance county line on the Garrett Sub.
>

Yes, I thought about it before I typed it, as to which I would end up referring to, and without a map handy, I typed it, wrong of course!

LOL, see you April 17, please have chickens to be cooked for dinner, hungry Loopers are descending, not to mention West Slopers!

Ster 2

Date: 03/10/04 21:51
Author: Telus6429

Hey maybe a small group of Canadians may come down on Saturday, April 10, and I may drag my buddy from California to see some great CSX action and some great fun in Deshler.

Telus6429
Ian
Windsor, Ontario
http://www.trainweb.org/swontariotrain/index.html
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?name=Telus6429

Date: 03/11/04 05:24
Author: farmer

CSX would have to come up with a bunch of money to convert the elevator at Deshler to load grain trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1315 seconds