Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fort Wayne Line to R.J. Corman???

Date: 04/14/04 14:15
Fort Wayne Line to R.J. Corman???
Author: zars

There is talk going around that CSX is also exploring selling the ex-PRR Fort Wayne line between Crestline, OH and Fort Wayne, IN to R. J. Corman.

Since getting this line in the Conrail breakup; it has been of little value to CSX. NS no longer runs trains east of FW on it, though I think they still use the line west of FW While it could be used as a safety valve for the ex-B&O main, the problem is that there are only a few qualified crews left that can run it. There are also few sidings of any size left to make it flexible as such.

There is some local business along this line that would make it worthwhile to a shortline operator; such as around Lima, OH, grain elevators at various locations and the Spore branch to a limestone quarry. Your opinions?

Date: 04/14/04 15:18
Re: Fort Wayne Line to R.J. Corman???
Author: CSX_CO

This has been discussed before on TO and elsewhere. While no offical announcements have been made of the pending sale, its a good chance it will probably happen. CSX announced it was cutting system mileage by some insanely high number. Only way they can reach that without cutting EVERY little branch line is to get rid of a big chunk of mainline.

The rumor has made it to at least the Union level in Fort Wayne, where the Local Chairman there was informed that most of his local would be getting forced to Garrett.

Practice Safe CSX

Date: 04/14/04 16:38
Author: Throttle_JCKY

This is one of the older of rumors. This line has been "sold" or "leased" more times then I can remember since Conrail pulled the trains off of it. I could start a long list of railroads that have been rumored.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the line sold, CSX doesn't seem to care that the line is there, and doesn't want to use it.

Date: 04/14/04 19:08
Author: farmer

Twelve hundred miles is the majic number of miles CSX wants to cut out of its system. July 1 is the date that is floating around for the sale of the Fort Wayne line.

Date: 04/14/04 19:26
Author: richs

Is the amount of savings shedding track either via sales or abandonment that worthwhile knowing the challenges and obstacles of trying to lay new track of any sorts? I do realize that the traffic from a sold line will probably end up on their system anyway at one point.
I realize a company must do what a company must do to attract
investors, especially an "old guard" industry such as railroading, but I can't help but think a fair percentage of such action has come back to haunt them. While I'm on the subject, is the closing of that Toledo area yard a prudent move
for the long term?
Rich S.

Date: 04/14/04 22:52
Author: tucker

I thought it was Ft. Wayne to Chicago?

Either way, it must be kinda good news for the folks with the 765. Shortlines seem to be more willing to allow steam to run on their lines.

Date: 04/16/04 08:07
Author: wabash2800

The line from Adams (east of Fort Wayne) to Decatur sees plenty of traffic to and from Central Soya at Decatur but the track is in horrible condition. More than once I have seen the train parked south of Fort Wayne for the weekend after it outlawed. The distance from Decatur to Fort Wayne is not far but the trains run what--10 miles per hour? I would think that the deferred maintenance would be something CSX would like to pass along to someone else and still get the interchange on the cars. Reportedly, RJ Corman had been seen hi-railing the main line some months ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds