Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Re: Days Inn in Fostoria???

Date: 05/27/04 09:06
Re: Days Inn in Fostoria???
Author: HaggisKennedy

Just as a followup note on this. We're going down to Fostoria Memorial Day weekend. We called the place (now known as Country Inn and Suites), and found out the old owners are still there; they know us, and it appears that the "Railfan Discount" still applies (at least to us; they know us real well). $39 or so a night, I think it was....

Kennedy

Date: 05/27/04 10:29
Author: LenKratz

$39 per night ain't bad! Whenever I travel around the country, I use $50 per night as a benchmark. If I can get a decent motel room for under $50, I'm doing good.

LK

Date: 05/27/04 14:01
Author: AlexanderCasset

Just stayed there last weekend, railfan rate for two people got us a room for $57. Awesome # of trains, diner out front was pretty good too.
Greg

Date: 05/27/04 16:23

AlexanderCasset Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just stayed there last weekend, railfan rate for
> two people got us a room for $57. Awesome # of
> trains, diner out front was pretty good too.
> Greg

The diner out front and good food is a new one on me. But, it had been closed for a while; the previous was a Mexican sort of place which wasn't to our liking. We normally go to The Black Cat, on the NE corner of town.

Kennedy

Date: 05/27/04 18:00
Railfan discount??
Author: dtidave

I gotta ask... is there such a thing as a "railfan discount"? I've heard of many things before, but I've never asked for one of THOSE at a hotel! Is it something special just at that hotel?

As far as a Country Inns and Suites, they are fine hotels. Unlike a lot of Best Westerns, Days Inns, and Ramadas, the majority of the Country Inns are pretty well similar to each other. I've never had a bad experience with them, and would recommend the Country Inns and Suites near the Orlando, FL Airport ANYTIME!

Dave J ---> betcha some places RAISE the rates if you ask for a "railfan discount"!

Date: 05/28/04 05:06
Re: Railfan discount??
Author: smj

dtidave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I gotta ask... is there such a thing as a "railfan
> discount"?

In fostoria.... yes. Fostoria looks at the railfan as a source of tourism revenue and the discount is there to entice you to stay locally as opposed to staying in another town.

> As far as a Country Inns and Suites, they are fine
> hotels.

The old Days Inn is now called "Country Club Inns and Suites", named as such for the Fostoria Country Club which sits directly behind it. I don't believe this hotel has anyting to do with the Country Inns chain. Not to say that your stay would be any better or worse.

Date: 05/28/04 18:48

This hotel does give discounts. But you have to ask for it.

The name is really Country Club Inn and Suites. Not the one you find online. The owner of this particular location (the same ones who ran the Days Inn), owns this operation. He's trying to franchise it.

The restaurant next door is the Flamin' Pit BBQ (http://www.flamin-pt-BBQ.com). Their main location is in Toledo, on Sylvania Ave. This is apparently their second location. It's pretty good; finally a decent place to eat here in town.

Already saw a Patched SP SD70M leading a WB today. Engineer yelled down to us that it sure was a durned shame that yellow patch was there....

Kennedy

Date: 05/28/04 20:17
Author: smj

I also caught a patched SP unit EB on the Columbus Sub south of Fostoria today. Early afternoon, if memory serves. There's been quite a few of those roaming around here the last few weeks.

Date: 05/30/04 15:26

Same guy, probably. He made the turn south towards Marion....

Kennedy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.138 seconds