Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS MOW notes

Date: 08/05/04 03:47
NS MOW notes
Author: KevinD

A couple of quick notes...

I was impressed at the brush clearing I've witnessed on on some parts of the NS system in the south. It appeared as tho they sprayed the jungle areas first to kill the green, then came through a couple weeks later with the saws and cut down everything within 20 feet of the tracks. All the debris was picked up and carted away, too, rather than left to rot trackside. Top notch job.

I also saw an NS hi-rail truck the other day while it was actively hi-railing, and noted that the headlights of the vehicle flashed in an alternating pattern like on an unmarked cop car (or, if you prefer, like the the flashing ditch lights on an engine, only they flashed at a faster rate). Its the first hi-rail vehicle that I've seen so-equipped.

Date: 08/05/04 10:08
Re: NS MOW notes
Author: Robbman

I wish NS would clear a 20 foot path aroud here ( VA )...

Date: 08/05/04 11:24
Author: joeshaw

Only times I've seen brush cleared like that in Virginia is right before major MoW projects get started. Maybe they're planning something in your area.

Or maybe its just an agressive approach to battling the kudzu!

Joe

Date: 08/06/04 07:19
Author: Markb

joeshaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Or maybe its just an agressive approach to
> battling the kudzu!
>
> Joe

I've heard that this stuff can grow as much as a foot a day in the summer, or 60' a year. I'd hate to clear it once a month every summer for it creepin close to the tracks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds