Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > KB&S Alcos

Date: 08/05/04 08:40
KB&S Alcos
Author: calumet

I talked with a Kankakee, Beaverville & Southern employee about their old power that had been sitting on a spur a half mile south of the shops area. All but two of them were out of service. Here's what he told me.

1. RS-11s 301, 309 and 318 have been scrapped. They were scrapped on site. The only visible remains I could see were some Alco truck assemblies stacked up near the shops.

2. RS-11s 312 and 324 (the latter chop nosed and still in Mississippi Central colors) have been sold. Both are now sitting in the shop area. 312 is has been lettered VLIX and 324 lettered DL. The guy I talked with didn't know when
they would be shipped out, but he thought it would be soon. If you want photos, better hurry.

3. RS-20 (rebuilt RS-3) 308 and RS-11 321 were also sitting in the shop area. They are still in operating condition. I was told that KBS is now pondering whether to put them up for sale. Thus far, they've served as backup power to the newly acquired GP38-2Ms.

Forgot to ask about C-420 315 (Damn!), and no information was
offered about it. But I was told that just three engines had been scrapped, so maybe it's already been shipped somewhere.

Bill Gustason

Date: 08/05/04 09:17
Re: KB&S Alcos
Author: mderrick

VLIX = Vintange Locomotive, Inc.

DL = Delaware Lackawana, a major Alco stronghold.

Thanks for the update!

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com

Date: 08/05/04 10:25
Author: LenKratz

Can you identify the replacement power KB&S is now using? I'm planning a September midwest trip which will include a visit to Iroquois Jct. Would like to photograph their present locomotive roster.

Are they railfan friendly there?

Len Kratz, Prescott Valley, AZ

Date: 08/05/04 13:35
Author: Fandemonium

GP38s in the same blue w/yellow scheme...pics have been in all the mags recently.

Yes, they are still railfan-friendly.

FM

Date: 08/05/04 16:06
Author: calumet

Actually, the new locomotives are former GP40s that have been rebuilt and reclassified as GP38-2M (presumably they've been deturboed).

For a shot of one of them go to:
http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/outlying.html
and scroll down to "Iroquois Junction."

Yes, I can second the remark that the office staff is railfan friendly.

Date: 08/05/04 20:41
Author: ns-dash8

What will be the routing for these? The NS wabash maybe ??

thanks,
Andrew

Date: 08/06/04 08:47
Author: MRSLIDES

calumet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
324 (the latter chop nosed and
> still in Mississippi Central colors)

324 is in California Western colors. (ex CWR nee SP).

JCB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds