Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Little Joe

Date: 08/31/04 04:19
Little Joe
Author: gg1tim

Here is a photo I took at Deer Lodge, Montana on 08-20-04 of EF-4 # 70 during a brief rest stop on the land portion of my 2 week vacation. Does anyone know if any more Milw. electrics are saved and where they are?

Date: 08/31/04 05:12
Re: Little Joe
Author: BL2

There is a South Shore Little Joe at the museum in Baltimore. A direct relative of the Milw. unit

Date: 08/31/04 06:57
Re: Preserved Milw Electrics
Author: kevink

Boxcab E50 at Duluth, MN
Boxcab E57 at Harlowton, MT
Bipolar E2 at St. Louis, MO - National Museum of Transport
Little Joe E70 at Deer Lodge, MT
I recall a steeple cab being preserved somewhere but I can't find the information.
The 'extension cord' shop goat is also preserved. Can't recall the location.

The term 'Little Joe' was strictly a Milwaukee Road term. The South Shore referred to its motors as 800-class motors. A second 800-class motor, the 803, is preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL

Date: 08/31/04 07:33
Author: HoosierVirg

Just west of the depot in Harlowton is the saved shop goat #X3800 which was used in Deer Lodge to move locomotives and cars around. It was one of two built for that purpose in Deer Lodge. I don't believe any of the steeple cab switchers were saved unfortunately. I hope you got to see the old Milwaukee Road depot in Butte now used by a TV station, the passenger station in Great Falls is really awesome. It was nice to see the Little Joes run but the steeple cab switchers in Butte and Deer Lodge were my favorites. Have a good and safe day!

Date: 08/31/04 08:10
Author: Locoinsp

While not a MILW loco, there is a preserved South Shore 800 series loco at the railroad museum in Northeast, Pennsylvania

Date: 08/31/04 08:39
Author: MRSLIDES

To see photos of the "Little Joes" that went to Brazil please visit my webpage: http://www.bensonrailphotos.com and click on the Brazilian Flag. JCB

Date: 08/31/04 09:55
Author: zephyrus

IIRC, one of the 2 locomotives used on the Texas Transportation Company line in San Antonio (and still there as far as I know) was ex-Milwaukee. It was built for the CM&St.P and used for only a few years before being sold.

Date: 08/31/04 10:14
Author: alco636

It's nice the E70 was saved. Maybe money can be raised for a roof for it someday?

Date: 09/03/04 17:12
Author: Castle_Romeo

BL2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a South Shore Little Joe at the museum in
> Baltimore. A direct relative of the Milw. unit

There is also one at the Illinois Railway Museum at Union,IL

Date: 09/03/04 17:57
Author: filmteknik

The previous poster is quite wrong about those intented-for-the-USSR GE's being called Little Joes only on the MILW. They were Little Joes on the South Shore as well. Perhaps the railroaders referred to them as 800's (just as UP people called the Big Boys 4000's) but to the fans they were Joes.

What nickname they went by down in Brazil on the Paulista Railway (which got 5) I do not know.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds