Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > South Fork Secondary

Date: 09/07/04 16:23
South Fork Secondary
Author: birdman

Recently, a friend and I decided to investigate the South Fork Secondary Track. Armed with a PA DeLorme gazeteer, we set out from South Fork and eventually stumbled and bumbled our way to Windber where we were fortunate enough to come upon a loaded coal train headed for South Fork, PA behind two SD80MACs. The weather was bad (pourng rain) but we followed it back to South Fork and even managed to get a photo or two. We would like to return, perhaps in the winter when trees are bare, and try our luck again. In the meantime, we have some questions. Can anyone provide some useful information about how to railfan the South Fork secondary? What is a good game plan for chasing? Is there any way to predict ahead of time the likelihood of finding a train to chase? Is there a regular schedule? And finally, Where are the best photo spots? Thanks for any help you can give us.

Date: 09/07/04 16:34
Re: South Fork Secondary
Author: mully

Go to yahoo and under groups search for the west slope group...these folks live there and can and are willing to provide info...also check out some other sites on the west slope like Cassandra, Portage and Cresson

Date: 09/07/04 17:48
Author: mully

Another yahoo group just starting
nsaltoonajohnstown

The moderator knows alot about the area...view some of the pics on that group

Date: 09/07/04 18:27
Author: WPandYfan

Just be warned I was there 3 weeks ago. Down at the south end of the yard. I was taking pic's of a pair of 80mac's. When a Black Bear Cub came out of the woods, crossed the track and walked south down right of way. Right between the gauge. After taken his picture a couple of times. He looked back, sniffed my way and started to run. I took this as my exit cue. Soon as I got the Jeep pointed in the right direction Momma Bear came out! No I didn't stop to get her pic. If my slides where back I would put one up sorry.

Date: 09/07/04 21:12
Author: dwil89

I just scouted it out myself....The magic road is 160...Follow that through Windber and it will eventually take you into Central City...where there are several grade crossings...There is also a road that parallels the tracks out to the mine there.....As far as catching a train..you need to listen in on your scanner...They require form D's..If you hear Form D's on the line in a South direction, an empty train is heading to the mine. North will be loaded...Frequency can be a few trains a week....For a good source of info on this line specifically, Find NS West Slope on yahoo groups...as Mully indicated....The locals on this group ..can give excellent advice on the line..plus one member has a webpage of Railfanning the West Slope with a section specifically dedicated to the South Fork Secondary....Hope this helps..Thanks....Dave Williams..nsaltoonajohnstown@yahoogroups

Date: 09/08/04 11:25
Author: birdman

To everyone who quickly responded to my questions: Thank you for the greet intel and advice. I signed on to join the new NSaltoonajohnstown yahoo group as you suggested and have already found it to be helpful and informative. Now I can't wait for an opportunity to head west from the Philly area for another shot at railfanning the South Fork Secondary.

Date: 09/08/04 15:16
Author: dwil89

Signup for NSWestslope as well! As I said above..there are a few locals that are experts on the Secondary!!!!They provided me with invaluable assistance more than once!!!Dave Williams

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds