Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfan Hotel Recommendations for Connellsville, Pa.???

Date: 04/22/05 09:00
Railfan Hotel Recommendations for Connellsville, Pa.???
Author: pilotblue

Hello to all!
Heading out next month to railfan CSX from Connellsville to Cumberland. Does anyone have a suggestion for a place to stay in Connelsville or anywhere else along the route? Anything trackside? Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and comfortable. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

Date: 04/22/05 09:02
Re: Railfan Hotel Recommendations for Connellsville, Pa
Author: toledopatch

I don't know what there is in Connellsville, but I'd recommend Somerset, Pa., as a good base of operations for this stretch of track. Yes, you're about 20 minutes from the railroad (closest points: Rockwood and/or Garrett), but thanks to the PA Turnpike location, there are lots of inexpensive motel choices and ample food opportunities as well.

Date: 04/22/05 09:26
Author: RFandPFan

If you're going all the way to Cumberland, get the railfan package at the Holiday Inn. You can watch trains outside your window while ordering room service. In other words "armchair railfanning". I stay there whenever I get the chance...unfortunately with all those trains going by, I don't get much sleep.

Date: 04/22/05 11:30
Author: pennsy3750

Use the Training Camp.

Date: 04/22/05 13:51
Author: sharris

There's some old cabin cars (Pennsy lingo, to heck with the B&O), sitting in the weeds in Meyersdale, Pa., just outside of Cumberland that have some pretty nice accommodations from what I hear. Probably locked, but a hammer and spike should do the trick getting you in.

I know a certain poster who will love this one...

SH

Date: 04/22/05 13:54
Author: toledopatch

sharris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's some old cabin cars (Pennsy lingo, to heck
> with the B&O), sitting in the weeds in
> Meyersdale, Pa., just outside of Cumberland that
> have some pretty nice accommodations from what I
> hear. Probably locked, but a hammer and spike
> should do the trick getting you in.
>
> I know a certain poster who will love this one...
>
>
> SH

I don't think the folks involved with the cabeese will mind that you named the wrong town for their location -- and I'm not going to name the correct town in deference to them. I'm also not sure our original post-er should rely on the Training Camp being available, nor is that level of roughing it necessarily what he's looking for....

Date: 04/22/05 16:55
Author: dwil89

$40 a night will get you an A frame to yourself at Fairhope, Pa, near the Fairhope Grade Crossing on Sand Patch's East Slope. Its called 'The Second Best Place' and is owned by Earl Cummins @ 814-267-5245 I haven't stayed there yet but Earl toured me through the A Frame which is behind his residence. It has full cooking, living room with cable TV, and wall unit AC, full bath and I believe laundry, bedroom downstairs and upstairs. His rates as of last summer were $40 for up to 4 people which is $10 a night per person if there are 4 of you....Dave Williams

Date: 04/22/05 19:38
Author: ChessieSystem

well.. Scottie..
You must be due for a good nights sleep! See, C&O cars on the B&O makes the term Cabin entirely inapropriate unless you speak of Hyndman interlocking in C&O terms. Being a Conrail Bu-oy i'll accept your terminology and lack of geogrpahical knowledge (esp. above sea level),.. just chalk it up to the Eas'n Sho up-bringing. Pilot Blue knows he has an open invitation at the Cab-in. As a dedicated CSHS director, he's a pretty well respected fella. Though a few passing freights might wake you through the night, the bunks leave one feeling very well rested when compared to the green machine GT#3.. or are we now on #4, or is #1 back from the shop?
Isn't she due for another 1500 mile 18 hour round trip pretty soon?? Im thinking so!

C27A

sharris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's some old cabin cars (Pennsy lingo, to heck
> with the B&O), sitting in the weeds in
> Meyersdale, Pa., just outside of Cumberland that
> have some pretty nice accommodations from what I
> hear. Probably locked, but a hammer and spike
> should do the trick getting you in.
>
> I know a certain poster who will love this one...
>
>
> SH

Date: 04/23/05 06:28
Author: mjbobb

There are no chain motels in Connellsville itself. There are a few mom and pop type in and close to town on rt 119. I highly recommend you do not stay at the Melody lodge just south of town!! Very dirty hotel. The RR put me up there for rest one night back in august. Mt Pleasent to the north and also Uniontown to the south have a few chain places. I would take Dave Patch's advice and find a place to stay at Somerset.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1093 seconds