Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > dayton ohio

Date: 07/14/05 17:42
dayton ohio
Author: gp74444

Have to be in dayton on friday any good spots on the area ? I will be there till monday. Thanks

Date: 07/15/05 05:26
Re: dayton ohio
Author: toledopatch

Highlight spots on the NS (ex-NYC) side in town are the Great Miami River deck girder bridge between Dayton and Moraine (visible from I-75) and, in the late afternoon, the parking deck along the tracks downtown across the street from White Tower.

The arch-truss river bridge closer to downtown that carries both railroads (NS, CSX) across the Great Miami is tough to do in the morning because of tight angles. The best shot in the afternoon is from the US35 entrance to northbound I-75, which is not for the squeamish -- but if you can pull it off, you get a great shot with bridge and skyline.

If you have wheels -- and in Dayton, you're pretty much screwed if you don't -- head on south toward Miamisburg. CSX runs along the riverbank west of town and NS runs through town. South of town NS crosses the river on another deck girder bridge that can be shot from access reached via a parking lot at some ballfields. The two sets of tracks then run parallel to each other past the power plant down there.

Oh, and besides CSX and NS, Indiana & Ohio runs on trackage rights over the NS. But most of what you'll see on their trains is crap unless you like a lot of second-hand lease stuff in beat up paint.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0245 seconds