Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pan Am cars spotted

Date: 08/05/05 14:08
Pan Am cars spotted
Author: P

Saw a string of these headed south on an NS train out of Cincinnati today. Look much better than 'boxcar red' at least.

Date: 08/05/05 14:27
Re: Pan Am cars spotted
Author: Rail1

That whole Pam Am boxcar thing is ridiculous. Smells fishy to me. Thats management for you, always trying to screw the working man or pull some s**t.

Rail1

Date: 08/05/05 14:55
Author: csxt4617

Rail1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That whole Pam Am boxcar thing is ridiculous.
> Smells fishy to me. Thats management for you,
> always trying to screw the working man or pull
> some s**t.

see this thread:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,973343

Date: 08/05/05 14:55
Author: toledopatch

Rail1 Wrote:
> That whole Pam Am boxcar thing is ridiculous.
> Smells fishy to me. Thats management for you,
> always trying to screw the working man or pull
> some s**t.
>
> Rail1

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if this isn't a way for GTI to transfer funds from Boston-Maine Airways to the railroad under the guise of advertising expenses. Note the previous thread about the USDOT investigation of Boston-Maine, which bought the Pan Am name from the Pan Am bankruptcy estate some years ago.

Date: 08/05/05 15:33
Author: Rail1

Just a bunch of union busters at GTI! Jerks. I believe Timothy Mellon(head) was there when the MEC/B&M strike went down in 1988(??) right? Guess he hasn't learned from his misgivings! T. Burzio should be proud!

Date: 08/05/05 18:57
Author: bobgfla

yes i worked for the b anm m in the time of the stricks and yes he was responable for them daved fink is now in charge of pa am he is a real nut

Date: 08/05/05 20:48
Author: RuleG

P Wrote:
> Saw a string of these headed south on an NS train
> out of Cincinnati today. Look much better than
> 'boxcar red' at least.

I saw one of these for the first time this evening from a distance. As I wasnt near the track, I first thought it was the main part of a boxcar placed into a gondola.

Dave in Pittsburgh

Date: 08/06/05 04:24
Author: JPB

I'm not sure how Pan Am / B&M Airways could be making enough money to transfer funds to GRS for advertising. Whenever I go to the Pan Am/B&M Airways web sites, it seems their flight route "schedules" are in continuous flux. Last time I visited the sites, it seemed like they only fly their 727 long distance routes on weekends. And their B&M 19 passenger Turboprop(s) only fly one route that I can see on the bmairways.com web site: Bedford, MA to Trenton, NJ.

If GRS was providing a travelling billboard for Pan Am, you would think the airline's web site "www.flypanam.com" would be painted on the box car. Note if you type "www.panam.com," you end up at the panam.org site, an interesting site documenting the original Pan Am's Clipper service.

I think it's ironic that GRS management, which has a historic anti-union stance, uses 727s which I think require a flight crew of three: pilot, co-pilot, and engineer. But in keeping with GRS locomotive acquisition practice, Pan Am did buy "experienced" airplanes that may be older than all GRS locomotives but their GP-7s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds