Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > ROAD/SWITCH Selector Switch...Conrail/NS GP38-2

Date: 08/21/05 20:14
ROAD/SWITCH Selector Switch...Conrail/NS GP38-2
Author: Red

I had an NS GP38-2 (still in remarkably good Conrail colors) trailing in my UPRR consist the other day, behind two of those old LMX (now RLCX) B39-8's that the BN used to use, with a nearly brand new UPRR C44ACCTE leading (one of the last of the GE FDL-16 units built). Quite an interesting consist!

I noticed that the Conrail Geep had a ROAD/SWITCH selector switch in the control stand. It was in the "SWITCH" position. Since I was taking her out on the road, on a fast train, I flipped the switch to "ROAD", which seemed like a logical thing to do, to me. Haven't seen too many of these on UP Geeps (and since I'm a road guy, hardly ever run GP38-2's anymore).

What I'm wondering is: what exactly does this switch do? I have heard that these switches make the unit load faster, an advantage in switching operations. If I had left the switch in the "SWITCH" position, would it have made much difference? I wondered that perhaps had I left the switch in the "SWITCH" position, it might have caused the unit not to make transition at road speeds, or something?

For those of you familiar with Conrail power, can you tell me exactly what this switch does, and, would it have been improper to leave it in the "SWITCH" position on a through freight? Or...would it have possibly allowed the unit to accelerate faster?

It was right in the control stand, the same type of switch used for generator field, etc.

Date: 08/21/05 22:30
Re: ROAD/SWITCH Selector Switch...Conrail/NS GP38-2
Author: indyspy

That thing *should* be a bypass switch. What it does is bypasses some of the control pannel circuitry so that the locomotive loads quicker.

You did the right thing by moving it to the ROAD position, this really is the "normal" position. It allows the locomotive to run in the factory delivered way.

I have seen some locomtives with a 4 way selector. ROAD, SWITCH ,HUMP LOW, HUMP HIGH

Road and Switch are as desrcribed, Hump High and Hump Low are special modes that lock a locomotive's electrical position in some way so that the locomotive gives a nice steady push while humping.

Date: 08/22/05 05:40
Author: Jaap

It advances the load regulator and keeps unit in series while switching.

Date: 08/22/05 06:12
Author: RFandPFan

What's kind of sad is that Red had to come to TO.com to get answers! LOL

Date: 08/22/05 06:29
Author: greendot

... maybe he didn't ask anywhere else!

Date: 08/22/05 07:04
Author: PaxtonCabin

I ran a pair of ex-CP SW1200RS switchers, an ex-NdeM GP38-2 and an ex-PC (Conrail) GP40 for a Massachusetts short line that all had the Road-Switch selector. The East Brookfield & Spencer gets all of its power through RTEX.

The starting torque substantially increased in the switch mode. Starting current in "Road" is around 300 amps while in "Switch" it tops 900 amps. I usually ran in switch while pulling and shoving any distance but went to road when spotting since that required inching cars into place.

Crews on the Providence & Worcester favor the EMD locos in switching for the same reasons. One area in particular is the Willimantic Branch from Plainfield, CT to Federal Paper. At Versailles, the siding from the main to the plant defies description! On account of the track conditions and steep grades, the limit on the siding is one four axle locomotive and six cars. Push any more and the train stalls.

To get to the plant, the train departs from the main, winds through trees, steam pipes, passes within 8 inches of buildings, descends one grade and climbs two of over 4% and rounds eight tight curves; including two reverses and one horseshoe curve! Most of this is done with the loco in full throttle (run 8).

The EMDs have no trouble with five cars but struggle with six. With all but the newest GEs on the property, the engineer has to make a run for the first grade with four cars.

If the plant ever closes, I’ll buy the track and sell tickets to ride it!

-PRR 5711

Date: 08/22/05 23:32

RFandPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's kind of sad is that Red had to come to
> TO.com to get answers! LOL

Now, please...don't pick on old RED. The UPRR does not have this feature on it's GP38-2's. So how was I supposed to know what the switch does? I "assumed" what it did, and was fairly close in my assumption.

What I was looking for was feedback from former Conrail hoggers who got this power regularly.

I have been collecting operator manuals for years, and have not seen reference to this. This switch falls into the category of "railroad-specified equipment", and is not standard equipment (although I do understand that it was quite common at one time on some road's SW1500's and MP15AC's).

Date: 08/23/05 00:20

greendot Wrote:
> ... maybe he didn't ask anywhere else!

You're quite right, Greendot. I DIDN'T ask anywhere else. I didn't have a "CONRAIL Hotline" to call about a switch on their power, so I asked here.

I'd have sounded like a DORK had I asked the yardmaster "HEY...what's this Road/Switch switch for?".

Sorry if I came across as a half-educated dork who just graduated from engineer school, and barely passed at that, on this board. Fact is, I graduated at the TOP of my class, quite a few years ago, have never had any incidents, have always worked safe, and, have always had an insatiable appetite to know about all the variations on motive power different from what I normally run. Had the former Conrail GP38-2 been the lead unit in my consist, why, then, I could have experimented with the switch myself, and seen exactly what it did in either position. Common sense told me that since the unit was on a high-speed through freight, it should be placed in the "ROAD" position.

Not bragging...just lucky enough to have had a VERY good friend at the KCS RR who began teaching me to run engines from the time I was 12 years old...everything from F-7's, to SD40-2's, on up through the SD50's and SD60's. I took trips with him every summer from the time I was 12 until I was 18, then made one last trip with him when I was a senior in college. He was very proud of me when I got a job with the UP, and I'm glad that he lived long enough to see me become a promoted locomotive engineer, then a manager for the UPRR...I miss him very much, and only wish that he could have been around to see me go back to my first love, running engines, after I put in 6 years trainmastering, making a very smooth transition with goodwill from both those above, and below me.

Maybe RFandPFan was just joking. I didn't mean to come across as somebody who barely knows his way around an engine cab. Trainorders IS a good place for railroaders to learn things from one another, I've found. And, I think that there are a lot of railroad buffs that enjoy, and learn from us talking shop on here.

I know my job, and am confident in my skills. But any good railroader will tell you that you NEVER stop learning right up until the day that you retire, and, if you ever get to a point where you THINK that you know it all...then you are probably dangerous.

Date: 08/23/05 05:18
Author: RFandPFan

Red, you misunderstood my intention. It was certainly not directed towards you. Its sad that the railroad does not provide you the information necessary to do your job and that you have to resort to TO.com for answers. Common sense would dictate if a feature like that switch could even "possibly" be in your train consist, the railroad should provide you with proper information. No slight on you, be safe.

Date: 08/23/05 18:21

RFandPFan Wrote:
> Red, you misunderstood my intention. It was
> certainly not directed towards you. Its sad that
> the railroad does not provide you the information
> necessary to do your job and that you have to
> resort to TO.com for answers. Common sense would
> dictate if a feature like that switch could even
> "possibly" be in your train consist, the railroad
> should provide you with proper information. No
> slight on you, be safe.

I got to thinking, and assumed that was where you were coming from. But, I guess UP doesn't feel (or even know) about specialty equipment on other RR's.

That's why I mentioned that Trainorders is a great forum for RR'er's from one RR to another to communicate peculiarities from one piece of equipment to another. It has been YEARS...many years...since I've seen a ROAD/SWITCH selector switch.

Pardon me if I seemed thin-skinned...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0789 seconds