Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > Weathering

Date: 11/26/05 11:56
Weathering
Author: J_deBroux

This is probably a really old trick, but non acetone nail polish remover is a pretty easy and in expensive way to make the paint fade on some of my HO Athearn Units. I bet they can even remove road numbers. I was just wondering if this is a trick you guys have been using, and If not, try it! Thoughts and feed back are welcome!

J

Date: 11/26/05 18:35
Re: Weathering
Author: steeplecab

Read the label. Is the primary ingredient isopropyl alcohol? An alcohol blush has been discussed on other forums as a way to make paint appear to fade. It can be reversed with an overspray of clear finish.

Date: 11/27/05 11:51
Author: Betsy

steeplecab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read the label. Is the primary ingredient
> isopropyl alcohol? An alcohol blush has been
> discussed on other forums as a way to make paint
> appear to fade. It can be reversed with an
> overspray of clear finish.

I've never seen isopropanol used as a nail polish remover. If you were to get some from the drug store these days, it would most likely be methyl, ethyl, or n-butyl acetate.

Are you applying this to the cars with an airbrush?

Elizabeth

Date: 11/27/05 16:00
Author: J_deBroux

It is being applied using a cotton ball and it a small amount, and once that happens the paint losens up and you can rub it off, and spread it around. I did this to one of my BN units and it looks like the unit has spent the winter going over the cascades!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds