Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > Historic Rail Catalog

Date: 11/26/05 13:42
Historic Rail Catalog
Author: fjc

Anyone gotten these catalogs in the mail? I'm wondering where they got my name and address from, I don't mind here, they actually have some interesting things in the catalog from books, videos and prints to model rr items.

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten the catalog, and if anyone has ordered from them?

Date: 11/26/05 13:48
Re: Historic Rail Catalog
Author: papio

I've been receiving that catalog for maybe three or four years now, but have never ordered from them. I suspect they maybe got my address from either Kalmbach or possible the Great American Train Show folks. I've also been receiving Schrader's Railroad Catalog, only I've been on their list for well over 10 years. Just last month, I made my first purchase from them.

Ed

Date: 11/26/05 14:10
Author: samreeves

I've ordered a few John Winfield art prints from them. No complaints at all, except that they stopped accepting AMEX about a year ago.

Sam Reeves
—
http://www.samreevesphoto.com

Date: 11/26/05 15:25
Author: CR4122

I suspect Historic Rail got your name from Kalmbach publishing, as I started receiving their catalog after subscribing to Classic trains.

Date: 11/26/05 15:31
Author: tracktime

CR4122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suspect Historic Rail got your name from
> Kalmbach publishing, as I started receiving their
> catalog after subscribing to Classic trains.

I'll bet this is the case too. I too was a Kalmbach subscriber.

Best Regards,
Harry

Date: 11/26/05 16:51
Author: SantaFeCF7

tracktime Wrote:
> CR4122 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I suspect Historic Rail got your name from
> > Kalmbach publishing, as I started receiving
> their
> > catalog after subscribing to Classic trains.
>
> I'll bet this is the case too. I too was a
> Kalmbach subscriber.
>
> Best Regards,
> Harry

Ditto, Harry, though I've cancelled my subscriptions to Trains & MR, decided to just buy the ones that have articles/pictures I want, and save the rest of money for something else. - Chris

Date: 11/26/05 16:58
Author: ATSF-Freak

Clam-Bake publishing is where they got it from. Interesting, because I also get Walthers flyers and other stuff as well. All of them addressed to my son, who interestingly enough is who all of the Clam-Bake subscriptions are under.

da' freak

Date: 11/26/05 20:38
Author: stclair49

With their declining subscriptions, they have to sell the mailing lists to keep up the profits. After subscribing to Trains, i get about 6 different catalogs from various Rail related companies, plus a couple of non profit outfits wanting me to become a member of their group. More fodder for the round file.

Date: 11/26/05 23:21
Author: shtinkypuppie

I've been getting it too, I think ever since I ordered some Altamont Press timetables, but maybe (GASP) after joining trainorders!

They're threatening that this will be my LAST ISSUE of a catalog I didn't request unless I order something! D:

Date: 11/26/05 23:31
Author: CPB284

I continue to get them, although it's been a couple years since I renewed my Trains subscription, although I've stopped getting Walthers sale catalogs and Schraders. Not a big deal for me, some of the items in the catalog look good. I especially like some of the artwork. For those that have ordered items from Historic Rail, how are they in terms of service?

Date: 11/27/05 01:51
Author: SantaFeCF7

shtinkypuppie Wrote:
> I've been getting it too, I think ever since I
> ordered some Altamont Press timetables, but maybe
> (GASP) after joining trainorders!
>
> They're threatening that this will be my LAST
> ISSUE of a catalog I didn't request unless I order
> something! D:

Cool, I wish they'd threaten me with that!! I still get the Walthers mailers/sale catalogs, probably because I made the mistake of ordering from their retail outlet - Terminal Hobby Shop, not a bad experience with them, but I'm sure they put my address in their database from that!

Date: 11/27/05 05:44
Author: Curt

Over the last 3-4 years I've ordered probably 10-12 items from them, primarily videos. My last order consisted of the BNSF Z Train print, which is great, and the BNSF Leaders Count book, which is still (order placed 10/4) on backorder. Service on past orders has always been good. However, I've had to call their Customer Service line twice on the backordered book, as they've chosen to not respond to several e-mails inquiring about it's status. Overall though, for me, a good source to deal with.

Date: 11/27/05 09:05
Selling Mailing Lists
Author: TheCurator

Magazines and mail-order companies have always been known to sell their mailing lists, which is why you receive 'unsolicited snail mail'.

Here in Canada you can contact the Direct Marketing Association and have your name and address removed from these mailing lists. I'm sure the U.S. has something along the same lines.

It's unfortunate that consumers are only given the 'opting out' choice of receiving these offers (whether by electronic means or regular mail), instead of being given the 'opting in' choice.

Oh well, free enterprise at work.

Date: 11/28/05 08:41
Author: jmj3293

Fran, Jarrod here...Ya I get them too. I think it might be from Walthers mailing group. Who knows. But some cool stuff. Dinga Dinga

Date: 11/28/05 08:42
Author: jmj3293

Frank, Jarrod here...Ya I get them too. I think it might be from Walthers mailing group. Who knows. But some cool stuff. Dinga Dinga

Date: 11/29/05 12:35
Author: fjc

Hey Jarrod, how long you been on TO?

jmj3293 Wrote:
> Frank, Jarrod here...Ya I get them too. I think it
> might be from Walthers mailing group. Who knows.
> But some cool stuff. Dinga Dinga

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds