Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > PIA Handrail Stanchions

Date: 03/29/06 09:41
PIA Handrail Stanchions
Author: Betsy

A few days ago the subject of these stanchions came up, and I mentioned that I had been in contact with Dave Braun, owner of PIA, and that I had order a couple of sets. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave this past Saturday, and yesterday the two sets I had ordered arrived in the mail. For those of us that really dislike the way the plastic handrails always seem to look "bent in," or just like to do kitbashing, this is great news. The PIA stanchions are by far the best EMD-style brass stanchions yet made for HO-scale models. While the #158 handrail set is specifically designed to fit the Athearn SD40-2, it contains several styles and sizes that are applicable to most modern EMD hood units. These can be ordered direct, and the website is http://pweb.jps.net/~pia. I need to order some more myself, as I have 4 SP SD45s in various stages of completion pushed to the back of my workbench. In fact, I have a few old models that I was going to sell, but was reluctant to do so because I was considering scavenging the PIA stanchions from them.

Elizabeth

Date: 03/29/06 10:34
Re: PIA Handrail Stanchions
Author: BNSFCSX

Betsy:
Are the longer stanchions you see on SD60's and 70's in this set as well then? If so this would be exactly what I need for all the flared 70M's and MAC's I'm doing. I'm talking the extra long ones that go up and over the blower duct walkway area. I've been using a bunch of Smokey Valley, but yes they are very soft. Thanks

Lenny
BNSFCSX

Date: 03/29/06 11:12

BNSFCSX Wrote:
:
> Are the longer stanchions you see on SD60's and
> 70's in this set as well then? If so this would
> be exactly what I need for all the flared 70M's
> and MAC's I'm doing. I'm talking the extra long
> ones that go up and over the blower duct walkway
> area. I've been using a bunch of Smokey Valley,
> but yes they are very soft. Thanks

No, as I mentioned, these were designed many years ago for the Athearn SD40-2. Dave has talked about making the longer stanchion for the Free-Flo blower duct found on post 1983 EMDs, but for now you'll either have to use the Smokey Valley stanchions, or do what Gordon Cannon did for his BL20-2, and splice 2 of the PIA stanchions to make a longer one.

Elizabeth

Date: 03/29/06 11:25
Author: highhood

are these the core drilled stanchions

Date: 03/29/06 14:37
Author: TCnR

Awesome.
After checking out the Athearn RPP reduex the Cannonized SD45 project is getting fresh attention. Definitely need more of these. Had saved a few of the old Walthers Catalogs that has the old product line shown as sketches.
Recently found the small diameter wire sizes at the TS, any suggestions for handrail diameter?
Thanks.

Date: 03/29/06 15:17
Author: UPWPFan

Elizabeth;

Thanks for the heads up on these stanchions. If they where for the Athearn SD 40-2 Do you think they would work on Athearn GP 40-2?
Please advise...

Thanks

Jere Ingram

Date: 03/29/06 16:24
Author: tracktime

UPWPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elizabeth;
>
> Thanks for the heads up on these stanchions. If
> they where for the Athearn SD 40-2 Do you think
> they would work on Athearn GP 40-2?
> Please advise...
>
> Thanks
>
> Jere Ingram

YES.

Date: 03/29/06 17:05

tracktime Wrote:
> UPWPFan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Elizabeth;
> >
> > Thanks for the heads up on these stanchions. If
> > they where for the Athearn SD 40-2 Do you think
> > they would work on Athearn GP 40-2?
> > Please advise...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jere Ingram
>
> YES.

Sure, they will work for almost any EMD hood unit, except for the long stanchions located at the angled blower bulge. You'll just have a few stanchions left over, but I'm sure Harry and I can help you out with that "problem." ;-)

Elizabeth

Date: 03/29/06 17:14

TCnR Wrote:
> Awesome.
> After checking out the Athearn RPP reduex the
> Cannonized SD45 project is getting fresh
> attention. Definitely need more of these. Had
> saved a few of the old Walthers Catalogs that has
> the old product line shown as sketches.
> Recently found the small diameter wire sizes at
> the TS, any suggestions for handrail diameter?
> Thanks.

EMD handrails (on hood units, at least) are 1.25 inches OD, which scales to .014 inches. If you're a slacker like me, you can get by with .015 wire. If you're bothered by the fact that the model handrails aren't hollow, you can get hypodermic tubing from Small Parts in, yes, .014 inch OD ;-)

highhood Wrote:
> are these the core drilled stanchions

No, the back of the "head" has a groove to hold the handrail, similar to Smokey Valley stanchions.

Elizabeth

Date: 03/29/06 17:54

Maybe teflon or something close, no expansion and contraction, no oxidation, no soldering, no distortion. Who comes up with these ideas?
How about the vertical drops along the steps?
Thanks, wow.

> -----
you can get hypodermic
> tubing from Small Parts in, yes, .014 inch OD ;-)
>

Date: 03/29/06 18:41
Author: ESPEE5318

I ordered a few sets last week. Joe

Date: 03/29/06 22:55
Author: dmaffei

Did Kemtron and Smokey Valley do (still do?) stanchions at one time? Or am I dating myself with my nostalgic parts???? Dave

Date: 03/30/06 08:34
Author: maxxk33

do these stanchions work with GE ho scale engines

Date: 03/30/06 12:51
Author: tracktime

maxxk33 Wrote:
> do these stanchions work with GE ho scale engines

For GE stanchions, use either the ones from Utah Pacific or from Smokey Valley. Both of those companies make stanchions specific for GEs.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 03/31/06 01:08

Noticed the website has been updated to explain the SD40-2 set includes wire and instructions. It's like somebody is listening.

Date: 03/31/06 20:05
Author: SantaFeCF7

Has PIA ever done switcher stanchions that sit on the 'edge' of the walkways, like on the SW1500?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0799 seconds