Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > Suggestions for modeling KCS business car?

Date: 05/17/06 04:41
Suggestions for modeling KCS business car?
Author: IAISfan

Can anyone offer any tips on a good starting point for modeling the original KCS 1887, named "Arthur E. Stilwell", or more recently, "Laredo", in HO scale? Photos may be found at (sorry, I tried to make that clickable but it's not cooperating). The car I'm interested in is the open-end example in the four photos at the top of the page. The one shot at the bottom shows the new KCS 1887(2), also named "Arthur E. Stilwell". It's apparently a replacement for the open-end car, which has recently left the KCS roster.

According to the KCS Historical Society site (www.kcshs.org), there are two stories about the history of this car, but both indicate that it started life on the Frisco. In one, it was built as a diner in 1928 by the Springfield, MO shops, and in the other it was built as a coach for the Frisco by ACF in 1912. It was purchased and renovated by MidSouth around 1988, at which time it received six-wheel trucks from an IC diner.

I'd appreciate any guidance you could offer. Thanks for your time.

Joe Atkinson

Date: 05/17/06 19:17
Re: Suggestions for modeling KCS business car?
Author: david22

Planning on doing it in IAIS, Joe??

Date: 05/17/06 22:43

You just never know what might turn up on the IAIS. :-)

Joe

Date: 05/18/06 07:32

Update: This car just arrived on IAIS rails this morning, to be their very first business car. No word yet on her IAIS number - I'm guessing either "1" or "1984" (the year of IAIS' founding), but I've just got to model it.

Joe

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds