Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Model Railroading > A.B. Charles Hobby Shop - Pittsburgh, Pa.

Date: 05/20/06 05:09
A.B. Charles Hobby Shop - Pittsburgh, Pa.
Author: edhorm

There has been questions about this Hobby Shop on this site a few times the past year so I thought I will post what is the current status of the business. I was in there yesterday and was told they will be closing at the end of this month. And, as has been rumored for about a year now, they are looking for a new location. They have begun to pack up the merchandise and it will be put in storage until another suitable location is found. They current building will be torn down once they get out of it. Now, being they are not going to be re-opening directly at a new site, I have no idea just how they expect their customer's to know where and when they will be back in operation, if at all.

Date: 05/21/06 06:12
Re: A.B. Charles Hobby Shop - Pittsburgh, Pa.
Author: jsvoboda614

I have many happy memories of AB Charles and Mr. Charles friendliness in particular. My Grandmother lived in Mt. Lebonan, and most times we went there to visit, I would get to stop at the hobby shop and pick up some model rr supplies, figures, aircraft kit, etc. This is going back 30 years or so... In the past decade I have only been there occasionally when back in the Burgh to visit, but it seems Mr. Charles still was there. I hope he's still holding up the fort and in good health.
As far as the move/closing goes, I'm sure internet competition has had an impact and I hope they can continue in business elsewhere.

Date: 05/21/06 10:55
Author: RuleG

I'm very sorry to read this. I thought about going up there on Saturday, be decided it could wait until later.

As one of the persons who placed a post on this subject last year, I thank you for your post. I am hoping that a new site will be found, but they have been looking for a new location for a while and haven't found anything.

A real shame, as A B Charles was the best hobby shop in the Pittsburgh area.

I haven't seen Mr. Charles in quite a while. Any of you know how he is doing?

Bill & Walt's in Downtown Pittsburgh has been in a long slow decline. Before I moved to Pittsburgh, I made a few visits and it was a pretty good store (although never as good as A B Charles). By the time I moved to Pittsburgh, the inventory of model railroad goods had declined, but it still had a great selection of magazines. Over the years, the number of magazines declined and then in the past 2 -3 years hours were cut drastically and the focus was on games. The store has closed and now it appears the building at Smithfield Street & Boulevard of the Allies is slated for demolition.

Dave

Date: 05/21/06 12:41
Author: edhorm

Ed Charles , the owner, is in an Assisted Living Center, I have been told. He has been in and out of the hospital the past year and has had heart trouble and a stroke the past few months. He was back in the hospital just a few weeks ago. I think it was this past August, he tried to come back on a limited basis, but, it did not work out for him. I was told that Scott, his son, has been looking every day for a new location, and has been for at least a year now. In my opinion, they will not be back. I have been a customer since 1968 of his. He is a very nice man to know.

Date: 05/22/06 00:29
Author: SantaFeRuss

Yes indeed, we will miss A.B. Charles & Son hobbies. Mr Charles has had his ups and downs recently, but Scott his son, and George in the model rr dept say he is doing ok.

As far as a different location for the shop, I have not heard anything. I go there on a regular basis and Mr Charles, Scott and George are class personified. I do wish them the best in whatever endeavor they partake upon. Best shop in the 'Burgh.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/26/06 19:01
Author: lgregory

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes indeed, we will miss A.B. Charles & Son
> hobbies. Mr Charles has had his ups and downs
> recently, but Scott his son, and George in the
> model rr dept say he is doing ok.
>
> As far as a different location for the shop, I
> have not heard anything. I go there on a regular
> basis and Mr Charles, Scott and George are class
> personified. I do wish them the best in whatever
> endeavor they partake upon. Best shop in the
> 'Burgh.
>
> SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/26/06 19:06
Author: lgregory

Just learned that A.B. Charles will be moving to their new location about Labor Day. It is the former Rollier's Hardware location at the corner of Beverly and McFarland in Mount Lebanon, a short distance from the previous location. The building is very distinctive (a big red barn) and has plenty of (free) parking. After Rollier's relocated some years ago the building was successsively a Boston Market and a child daycare center.

Lee Gregory
Pittsburgh, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds