Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Model Railroading > Correct Floquil color for SP red........

Date: 09/24/06 22:11
Correct Floquil color for SP red........
Author: SantaFeCF7

I am trying to find out which Foquil color best matches the Microscale red SP 'wings'. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I couldn't find it using the search option. The only mention of SP reds discussed Scalecoat II. Any help is appreciated.

Date: 09/24/06 22:14
Re: Correct Floquil color for SP red........
Author: tehachapifan

I believe it is called "SP Scarlett"

T-fan

Date: 09/24/06 23:36
Author: cr6972

SP scarlett red is correct.

Date: 09/25/06 00:22
Author: fjc

The SP Scarlett color is correct, however if you want the proper color to match the SP Microscale decal set then use Signal Red.

Frank

Date: 09/25/06 10:16
Author: BNSF-E9

Floquil # F110065, Signal Red.

Date: 09/25/06 11:12
Author: brassmag

Having used the "recommended" color in the Microscale decal sheet of SP Scarlet and having it look too dark, I'd try the Signal Red. I've had problems in the past with Microscale not being consistent with reds (and blues) on different runs of the same decal sheet.

Date: 09/25/06 11:39
Author: RV009

what about from polly scale?

Date: 09/25/06 14:28
Author: SantaFeCF7

Thank you for all of the replies, and yes, I'd already tried the SP Scarlet from Floquil - it looked faded compared to the decals. I will try the signal red, though!

Date: 09/25/06 15:42
Author: tracktime

Hey Chris,

Your best bet is to go with Scalecoat or SMP Accu-Paint's SP Scarlet. Both have matched the wing decals from Microscale, IIRC. In the past, for me, Floquil's SP scarlet tends to vary in color from batch to batch over each run.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 09/25/06 20:11
Author: mario_puzo

I agree with Harry's statements. Floquil is definitely hit or miss when it comes to Scarlet. In fact, when I was in the Train Shop (my LHS) recently, I examined the Floquil Scarlet and it appeared to be closer to Daylight orange. Bleh! Go with Scalecoat!

-Jarrett

Date: 09/25/06 22:03
Author: highhood

though i have never tried signal red accu paint scarlet red does not come close to the microscale wings for the bloody nose

Date: 09/25/06 23:22
Author: cr6972

SantaFeCF7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am trying to find out which Foquil color best
> matches the Microscale red SP 'wings'. I'm sure
> it's been discussed before, but I couldn't find it
> using the search option. The only mention of SP
> reds discussed Scalecoat II. Any help is
> appreciated.

scalecoat scarlett red is also a good match. i have the decals and the paint, i matched up the paint on a swatch after it dried, and compared it to the decals, a good match. you can always weather it to blend it in. or, just use real blood!!! :)

Date: 09/26/06 02:29
Author: fjc

Signal red in Pollyscale is a good match for the wings, the decal wings that is, and or painting your own wings. Same with Floquil, if you want faded wings use the SP Scarlet. But as Harry says Accu-Paint and Scalecoat Scarlet are good choices, depends on what your after is really what I use. I remember though the first time I used the SP Scarlet from Floquil and I was extremely disappointed ;(

RV009 Wrote:
> what about from polly scale?

Date: 09/26/06 10:21
Author: RV009

A freind of mine has also doubled up the wing decals to bring ou the red more. looked good.

Date: 09/26/06 19:27
Author: CarlLaFong

Or, try this: Carefully cut out the Microscale wings you want to use, being careful to cut exactly on the edge of the red.

After cutting it out, airbrush it with your preferred choice of paint, and overcoat it with Microscale's Liquid Decal Film.

You can then apply the decal to the model and the paint will match exactly!

Carl

Date: 09/26/06 21:41
Author: brassmag

My solution was to airbrush the nose and sides of the nose red, cut a 'wing' stencil out using the decal for a pattern, then use the stencil and airbrush the gray. No decal needed.

Date: 09/26/06 21:53
Author: ESPEE5318

brassmag Wrote:
> My solution was to airbrush the nose and sides of
> the nose red, cut a 'wing' stencil out using the
> decal for a pattern, then use the stencil and
> airbrush the gray. No decal needed.

Same here..........

Date: 09/26/06 22:34
Author: jrwirt

I just did 5 detailed N scale GP20s in the Bloody Nose scheme and used the Microscale wings and Floquil SP Scarlet. I wasn't sure it was going to match very well at first, but after the final flat finish went on, it is real difficult to see any difference. But then it is hard to see anything on an N scale locomotive. :)

I did a test overlaying a piece of the Microscale decal on patches of Floquil and Poly Scale SP Scarlet. The Poly Scale was not even close, flat finish or no.

Date: 09/27/06 17:16
Author: bozotexino

Are you trying to model a brand new or an in-service unit? Especially in its later years, SP locomotives became quite faded due to crappy paint and a tough working environment. Not all SP locomotives had the same shade of red due to the different shops in which they were painted. When in doubt, use lots of weathering.
I will agree with the previous posted, Floquil's current batch of "SP Scarlet" is anything but. Yech! Try mixing Signal Red in with the "SP Scarlet" and the results won't be bad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds