Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Model Railroading > CB&Q steam help

Date: 12/19/06 06:29
CB&Q steam help
Author: baldfacenine

Am trying to detail a USRA heavy 2-8-2 after the CB&Q O-4 series and encountered a problem. There is a mass of pipes on the fireman's side below the cab that looks like it has steam lines connected to the turret, connections to the feedwater heater and a large line ( about 4 inches) connected to the tender. Looks like it should be some sort of cold water pump( possibly). All the available photos I have do not show enough detail, can not find anything in 1922 loco cyclopedia similar and can not find any similar castings even in Kemtron and cal-scale catalogs of old. Any one out there know what this is or any source of info( photos) where I might find out? Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.

Date: 12/19/06 09:27
Re: CB&Q steam help
Author: wabash2800

Why don't you cross post this over on the steam board here? Just open your post here, hit right click and copy the link at the top of the page, go over to the steam board, start you thread and hit right clik and paste the link in the body of the message. There are a number of knowledgable steam folks over there and some are modelers and/or work on real steam. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find a Burlington fan.

If you have a photo to include that might get the ball rolling too, otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me if someone over there has a photo.

Date: 12/19/06 16:07
Author: burlingtonjohn

baldfacenine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am trying to detail a USRA heavy 2-8-2 after the
> CB&Q O-4 series and encountered a problem. There
> is a mass of pipes on the fireman's side below the
> cab that looks like it has steam lines connected
> to the turret, connections to the feedwater heater
> and a large line ( about 4 inches) connected to
> the tender. Looks like it should be some sort of
> cold water pump( possibly). All the available
> photos I have do not show enough detail, can not
> find anything in 1922 loco cyclopedia similar and
> can not find any similar castings even in Kemtron
> and cal-scale catalogs of old. Any one out there
> know what this is or any source of info( photos)
> where I might find out? Thanks for the help and
> Merry Christmas.

Which engine are you looking for? I have a pretty decent collection of Burlington Route reference material and I'd be happy to look through it to see if I can answer your question.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 12/19/06 17:19
Author: MTMEngineer

From what I can tell, most of the O-4's got Elesco feedwater heaters, and what you describe this is what you need to know about.

Is the feedwater heater a huge round bundle on top of the smokebox in front of the stack? If so, the it's an Elesco.

The general arrangement of plumbing for this is shown on pages 314 and 315 of your 1922 Cyclopedia. The feedwater pump shown in these diagrams is of a single piston design, and the O-4's pictured in Korbins' Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route use a later two piston design (except for those with a Worthington feedwater system), which seems to have a few more pipes. Check Kalmbach's Locomotive Cyclopedia, Vol 1 for details on plumbing the more modern system, as shown on page 15. You might also want to check out pages 399-401 of the 1941 Locomotive Cyclopedia.

Date: 12/20/06 04:45

The engine I am looking at is 5509.

Date: 12/22/06 06:11

The engine in that I am attempting to do is the 5509. The feedwater heater is one of those massive Worthington BL-4 's not the an Elesco. Got photos that might show the fire-mans under cab area in detail . Thank you in advance.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds