Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Model Railroading > F40PH's: Kato vs Bachmann Spectrum

Date: 05/09/07 16:03
F40PH's: Kato vs Bachmann Spectrum
Author: Charles

Which would you choose? I do like the flashing strobes on the Bachmann model, but the Kato is "sound-friendly". So......

Charles

Date: 05/09/07 16:21
Re: F40PH's: Kato vs Bachmann Spectrum
Author: NebraskaZephyr

The Bachmann units are, to put it kindly, "proportionally impaired". They seem to look too wide and too low, kinda squat compared to the prototype.

Kato units are MUCH better proportioned.

Personally, I found the best-looking body shell to be the OLD Life-Likes. Plug the ugly slots in the side, detail 'em up and throw away the chassis (except the fuel tank, you might need that).

Made three F40s way back in the dark ages of the 1980s: Grafted one shell to an Atlas (Roco) FP7 chassis, per a long-ago article by Andy Sperandeo in MR. Made two more using Proto Power West F40PH chassis. Added Progressive Electronics white strobes. Nowadays, you could probably get the strobe lighting effects in a DCC decoder and use white LEDs.

NZ

Date: 05/09/07 16:45
Author: BlackWidow

If you are planning to install DCC, the Kato is a must. You have to practically disassemble the entire engine to correctly wire a decoder into a Bachmann. It is most definitely not DCC ready. However, once I did that to the Bachmann, it ran pretty well.

Date: 05/09/07 17:16
Author: brassmag

Kato. Front windshields are even a better size than my Overland BRASS (too big)! Drill out the holes for the strobes and run two surface mount LEDs to the roof. Best looking strobes I've seen.

Date: 05/09/07 18:46
Author: ESPEE5318

Kato

Date: 05/09/07 19:28
Author: Charles

What if we throw the Walthers Trainline model into the mix?

Date: 05/09/07 20:09
Author: ESPEE5318

still Kato............I'm not a big Kato fan but they did do a nice job on the F40PH......Joe

Date: 05/10/07 03:32
Author: gtw1516

I would have to agree on the best looking F40 shell. The old Life Like toy train F40 shell has the proper dimentional looks.
gtw1516

NebraskaZephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Bachmann units are, to put it kindly,
> "proportionally impaired". They seem to look too
> wide and too low, kinda squat compared to the
> prototype.
>
> Kato units are MUCH better proportioned.
>
> Personally, I found the best-looking body shell to
> be the OLD Life-Likes. Plug the ugly slots in the
> side, detail 'em up and throw away the chassis
> (except the fuel tank, you might need that).
>
> Made three F40s way back in the dark ages of the
> 1980s: Grafted one shell to an Atlas (Roco) FP7
> chassis, per a long-ago article by Andy Sperandeo
> in MR. Made two more using Proto Power West F40PH
> chassis. Added Progressive Electronics white
> strobes. Nowadays, you could probably get the
> strobe lighting effects in a DCC decoder and use
> white LEDs.
>
> NZ

Date: 05/10/07 09:50
Author: tmurray

All four have their shortcomings. Walthers and Kato are both decent models. Kato wins in running and "coming with details" categories. The Bachmann unit should be melted down. A carved block of wood would pobably be more accurate, cost less, and run better.

-Tom

Date: 05/10/07 15:30
Author: brfriedm

I have a pair of the Kato F40's in service and they run like butter and I put sound in both of them for cheap(Digitrax) They sound very good to me. I was able to put sound in the pair in 25 minutes total. The Kato shells detail looks very good to me. I really see no advantages to the Bachmann. People keep saying that certain shells look better then others but give no specific's. The Kato's also have the newer golden white LED's. Good luck.

Bruce

Date: 05/10/07 21:44
Author: scax330

I really like the newer Spectrum F40PH from Bachmann, I can give the following specifics:

Bachmann retooled the shells and ditched the split frame. The new models run and look much better, flush mounted window glass, see-through fans and vents, Air tank piping, fuel tank hookups, LED flashers, DCC socket, etc.

The best part is they can be found for around $50 or less. ($49.99 in Trainworld ads)

The easiest way to spot one of these newer models on the shelf is to check the box design.
The older models have diagonal lines of satin finish on the box which aren't on the newer run.

Here's a link to Darth SantaFe's review of the newer Bachmann units on the MRR forum:

http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/575516/ShowPost.aspx

Enjoy
scax330

Date: 05/11/07 03:17
Author: csxt4617

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a pair of the Kato F40's in service and
> they run like butter and I put sound in both of
> them for cheap(Digitrax) They sound very good to
> me. I was able to put sound in the pair in 25
> minutes total. The Kato shells detail looks very
> good to me. I really see no advantages to the
> Bachmann. People keep saying that certain shells
> look better then others but give no specific's.
> The Kato's also have the newer golden white LED's.

Yeah, I recently bought a Kato F40 (for about $75 at a show), and a decoder (about $65),
and had it installed before the end of the show (I had tables, so I was at the show all day).
At first, I didn't think it sounded right (reminded me of a vacuum cleaner sound), but then I
was watching a video of an F40, and it sounded almost perfect. Guess it's been awhile since
I've actually heard a real F40 in person ;) 140 bucks for a sound equipped Kato unit ain't
too shabby. The only thing missing is doppler effect...that's one of my favorite "toys" on
the sound decoders :) Soundtraxx doesn't seem to have that feature.

Date: 05/12/07 16:30
Author: gtirr

There is NO comparison! The botchman units are JUNK!!!!!

The KATO units are light years ahead....

Sort of like road kill and steak from Applebe's!

gtr

Date: 05/13/07 22:15
Author: tjohnson00

Kato hands down!

Terry
Berkeley,CA.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0709 seconds