Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > Homasote in the Antelope Valley, CA area...

Date: 05/16/07 17:16
Homasote in the Antelope Valley, CA area...
Author: drgwfan1

I've been looking for a source for Homasote in the Antelope Valley area (California). I've tried the big chains (Home Depot, Lowes, Stock Building Supply, H&E, Weston). The only bite is that from Lowes who will sell me a minimum of 5 sheets at ~$31.00 each. I really only have a need for one. Which leads to my 2 questions?

Anyone know of a local source for Homasote?

Anyone interested in a sheet of Homasote (at cost)?

My reason for needing to pickup in the Antelope Valley area is that it's 'difficult' to transport in my minivan and it would be a safety concern to travel outside of the area for pickup (in addition to the price of gas to go 'down below'). I live in Rosamond.

Thanks.

Date: 05/16/07 18:47
Re: Homasote in the Antelope Valley, CA area...
Author: Jeff_Johnston

Visit: www.homasote.com

Check their website for a dealer near you. You may find there are more places that have it than you realize. I found a local dealer, a big box home improvement store called Jerry's, that didn't stock it, but could sell it to me in any quantity. They could have ordered it, but I as able to pick it up -- three sheets, and NOT in the wind -- at the local distributor in Eugene, Oregon.

Good luck!
Jeff Johnston
Modeling the Sugar Pine Lumber Company/Minarets & Western Railway circa September 1927

Date: 05/16/07 23:39

Thanks for the reply. I did contact the folks at homasote and I was put in contact with the western sales rep. He referred me to one lumber yard that dealt with a distributor for their product. The problem is the distributor didn't want to sell just one sheet, they wanted to sell 60. I'm sure there is someone out here who will sell me one. I had bought just one sheet from Lowes a few years ago, but now it's 5 sheets minimum. Oh well... Thanks again for the reply

Date: 05/17/07 09:03
Author: aehouse

I was in the market for Homasote about a year and a half ago (I live in South Central Pennsylvania), and found that it is increasingly hard to find, especially so in small quantities. Apparently its primary use in the building trades has dropped off considerably. Several of the retailers listed on the manufacturer's website as handling the product no longer did so, and one I contacted refused to order me some in ANY quantity. I finally found some in a lumber yard about 20 miles away, but the product available there had been on the shelves for a long time unsold, and I had to spend some time finding sheets that were of decent enough quality (a lot of them had been chipped and warped by moisture) for model railroading purposes. I considered myself lucky to be able to find enough for my needs.

This is another example of a once widely available model railroading-critical product now disappearing from the market. And despite a lot of talk, I know of no reasonable substitute product if you, like me, want something that will easily take and hold a track nail.

Art House

Date: 05/18/07 08:01
Author: wabash2800

You can still get the Homabed (precut) though an outfit in California but it may be more than you want to spend. I am using it on my layout.

Date: 05/23/07 13:06

Wanted to thank all the replied. I went ahead and ordered my 5 sheets (that's the minimum) from Lowes. I have a taker for 3 sheets, and I can use the other 2. If ya need 5 or more then order from Lowes (commercial sales desk))

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds