Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas May Releases

Date: 05/23/07 08:37
Atlas May Releases
Author: schmo

I just realized I hadn't checked these out yet and--voila! Atlas is coming out with a new run of U30Cs.

What makes this a bit exciting for yours truly is the presence of an SP version with BOTH the nose sealed-beam headlight and Gyralite above the cab. Yipee! I love the fact that Atlas and Athearn are now adding RR-specific details like this to their lokes.

I remember shooting these big luggers on Tehach, and it'll be great to have some running on the layout. These were some of the heaviest six-axle locos on the SP in the 70s. Had extra ballast installed at the GE factory, and were thus assigned to the Bakersfield-Tehahcapi freight pool. Kool!

--Scmho

Date: 05/23/07 09:48
Re: Atlas May Releases
Author: webercanyon

I read the Atlas release. it doesn't say anything about the above cab gyralite and the illustrations don't show one.

Date: 05/23/07 10:08
Author: dlbowen

Nice photos of the U30C's. From what I have heard from SP personnel, the U30C's were far superior to the U33C's. Interesting that photo 2 was taken before the Woodford siding was extended east to a point just west of the bridge.

Don Bowen
Exeter, CA

Date: 05/23/07 10:37
Author: schmo

webercanyon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read the Atlas release. it doesn't say anything
> about the above cab gyralite and the illustrations
> don't show one.

Click on the link below to see the Atlas artwork for the SP U30C. It shows a head-on view with both the nose light and light above the cab. Converting the light above the cab to a working Gyralite will be straight-forward.

http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOLocomotives/hou30c/0407/U30C%20SP.gif

Date: 05/26/07 20:36
Author: TCnR

dlbowen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... Interesting that photo 2 was taken
> before the Woodford siding was extended east to a
> point just west of the bridge.
>
> Don Bowen
> Exeter, CA

Good catch, always wondered what the area looked like before it was extended.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0298 seconds