Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Model Railroading > Californioa Cars / Surfliners in HO?

Date: 06/08/07 10:02
Californioa Cars / Surfliners in HO?
Author: djansson

Any information about somebody making these cars? I recall seeing some info about a small mfg. doing this but the pics shown on the net weren't impressive. In fact, they were pretty crude.

Date: 06/08/07 10:07
Re: Californioa Cars / Surfliners in HO?
Author: SCasey

So far, nobody has done or announced them. The only way to get them is Brass.

Sean

Date: 06/08/07 11:10
Re: California Cars / Surfliners in HO?
Author: Andre

djansson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any information about somebody making these cars?
> I recall seeing some info about a small mfg. doing
> this but the pics shown on the net weren't
> impressive. In fact, they were pretty crude.

And from what I remember he want a lot more than they were worth considering the quality of the castings and the work that would have been necessary to get them to look decent.

Andre Anderson

Date: 06/08/07 13:35
Author: tracktime

The current kit manufacturer for the Amtrak California Car in HO scale is Union Station Products.

http://www.unionstationproducts.com

The problem with the sample car shown on their site, is that the "sample model" was painted and finished rather crudely, and may not do the model justice. Also, the car seems to sit rather high off the trucks in their photo. Since this is a kit, I'd surmise that this would be correctable without too much consternation..

That said, I've got some car sides for an SP Sunset Diner from Union Station Products, and from my inspection of the parts, it will make a nice model once I have everything together. I am happy with the SP diner I've got sitting here.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 06/08/07 17:23
Author: tjohnson00

I think it's just a matter of time. It's probably gonna come down between Athearn or Kato doing these cars.

Terry
Berkeley,CA.

Date: 06/08/07 19:13
Author: WTF

Aweful looking car Harry...just aweful....where do you want me to start???? Sheesh....

Date: 06/08/07 22:49
Author: mcdeo

Yah, in brass, if you didn't miss the run. Are very rare on E-bay and end up costing a mess more $$. Hopefully someone will do them sooner than later in plastic. I think if a mid-west or east coast commuter/region would purchase some new, then there would be more or a draw for them. Or not...

Date: 06/09/07 01:49
Author: cct24

Walthers bought the plans and the rights to build them several years ago and then promptly sat on them

Date: 06/09/07 14:46
Author: KV1guy

Damn I wish Walthers would step up to the plate and release those cars. I need 2 sets of each the Cali's and Surfs.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0679 seconds