Home Open Account Help 171 users online

Model Railroading > Train-table legs from iron pipe and flanges

Date: 06/13/07 21:52
Train-table legs from iron pipe and flanges
Author: DocJohn

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used iron pipe and pipe flanges to make legs for train table.

Thank you,

John

Date: 06/14/07 08:17
Re: Train-table legs from iron pipe and flanges
Author: stivmac

My dad used them when he built my first fold down Lionel layout--ca 1956. An advantage would be the ability to level the layout easily by srewing in/out the legs from the flanges. A down side would be an inherent wobbliness where the flange mounts to the layout. I'd suggest using flanges for feet as well, but since they are nor machined smooth with any precisinon, they wouldn't be all that stable. the other problem would be cost. Unless oyu are doing a fairly small layout, pipes and flanges would be a bit pricey. A third problem is the inability to cross brace or triangulate the legs for stability. You don't want to go welding on galvanized pipe! The fumes are LETHAL!

Date: 06/14/07 14:34
Author: coaldrag

One could use tee's and crosses with the pipe. If properly done you not only could park a tank on it, it would be the only thing left if your house burned down. The only cost effective way is if you threaded all the pipe yourself though ......

Date: 06/14/07 20:31
Author: grahamline

There's a 4x9 train table with pipe legs threaded into flanges still standing in the basement of my folks' house that was assembled this way in 1952-53. It survived seven kids. The legs are pretty short 'cause the table was built to kid height.

Date: 06/14/07 22:21
Author: fbe

There are a couple of disadvantages. They are heavy if you are thinking of something you might lift. There is also an inherent weakness where the last thread meeds the pipe body. If you bump the leg or table it can fracture at this point. If this will be a permanent layout which is secured to the wall this lateral weekness should not be a problem. Have you checked the price of black iron pipe lately?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.023 seconds