Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Model Railroading > Con-Cor MP15

Date: 07/30/07 16:49
Con-Cor MP15
Author: pepperidge

Did Con-Cor have their upgraded MP-15 (DCC equipped)on display at NMRA? They are showing them at their website but supposedly the first shipment had "problems" of an unspecified type and they are not shipping to customers.

Pepperidge

Date: 07/30/07 19:57
Re: Con-Cor MP15
Author: espeeboy

LOL, why ship it when nobody's gonna buy them? GO ATLAS! (and now GO ATHEARN!)

Date: 07/30/07 20:35
Author: funnelfan

Who cares, why would anyone want to spend $100 for something that looks like a Tyco product.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/30/07 22:34
Author: ESPEE5318

What Concor is rerunning there junker I better cancel the Athearn's I have on reserve..........Joe

Date: 07/30/07 22:41
Author: ATSF429

Nice of you self proclaimed experts to answer the guys question.

Date: 07/30/07 22:54
Author: ESPEE5318

I'm no expert........

Date: 07/31/07 14:51
Author: Tony_Cook

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who cares, why would anyone want to spend $100 for
> something that looks like a Tyco product.

What? It looks like a TYCO product?!? Wow! Cool! Maybe I should TWO now that I've heard that!

Now that you say that, I did see that Con-Cor will offer a red-and-silver warbonnet MP15...and that was the one I was debating ordering. Hmmmm, what does that say about me??? No need to answer.

Actually, Con-Cor did have MP15's at the show, but they appear to be the N-scale examples...

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/tonycook1966/NMRA%20Show%20Detroit%20Jul%2007/NMRA_Concor_n_MP15.jpg

Date: 08/01/07 01:47
Author: fbe

ATSF429 Wrote:
> Nice of you self proclaimed experts to answer the
> guys question.

Perhaps what the posters are trying to tell the fellow is to avoid the Con Cor model since there are bette available. The first run of the Con Cor MP15DC models had a nice KATO drive and a body which looked cheap. Later runs dumped the KATO drive for one which runs worse. Perhaps the latest will run better but unless MAJOR changes have been made to the body casting it will always look toyish compared to the ATLAS model. If the Con Cor were 1/2 the price then the detail sacrifice might be worth it but not when the prices are pretty close.

My apologies to Con Cor for the scathing review but I own two of the models. I purchased them for a kitbash of the MP15AC. I planned on keeping the drive and trashing the body. The kitbash would use Athearn SW1000 and SW1500 body shells with a number of parts from the Athearn SD40T-2 shells. Model railroading industry was true to form and since I waited long enough I will now get the high quality body and mechanism AND Milwaukee Road paint all in one package. What to do with those nice KATO drives with a short wheelbase? Perhaps I will use them to power something else like a GP15-1 or GP9.

Date: 08/01/07 12:40
Author: TopcoatSmith

fbe Wrote:
> Model railroading industry was true to form and
> since I waited long enough I will now get the high
> quality body and mechanism AND Milwaukee Road
> paint all in one package.

All you have to do is make the attempt (or purchase) and the Train Gods will be appeased. I know cuz I had to buy the resin auto rack kits before Walthers and several others came out.

> What to do with those
> nice KATO drives with a short wheelbase? Perhaps
> I will use them to power something else like a
> GP15-1 or GP9.

NW-5 maybe ???

TCS - ewe kan dew it

Date: 08/01/07 13:20
Author: fbe

TCS,

Yes, an NW3 or NW5 could be in the works some day. The KATOs would be good for that, I will have to investigae the wheel base on the units to see if stretching is needed.

Date: 08/01/07 13:45
NW- three slash fives
Author: TopcoatSmith

NW-3/5 truck centers 31'0"
Pilot to pilot 50'0"

That's all I have, and the Walthers flyer from a few months ago with an NW-5 on the cover.
Yep, gonna need a stretch and a couple shells.

TCS - geaux mango

ps: then the twisted side said "hey, what if .... SSW had gotten one or two .... ???"
grey and yellow with red pinstriping ...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds