Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Model Railroading > Track cleaning????? Help !!!

Date: 10/23/07 19:36
Track cleaning????? Help !!!
Author: BEAR8216

I need to clean my track. Code 83, N.S. Been a while since I have ran trains. Brite boy doesn't clean it enough. I was thinking rubbing alcohol, but I want to make sure. Thanks in advance.

Date: 10/23/07 20:15
Re: Track cleaning????? Help !!!
Author: TCnR

Put the Brite boy down...step away from the brite boy...those things make the problem worse, good idea if paint gets on the rail and that's about it, although a fine sandpaper or scraper may work better. The scratches collect that gunk, the scratches may also oxidize worse than clean rail.

Suggest being aware of how many Kadee wheelsets you have, the chemical blackening seems to add to the gunk on the track, the plastic wheelsets may cause problems as well. Jury is still out on wheelsets.

The current idea is to use one of the many chemical cleaners on the market, this is usually a popular topic.

Here's a link to a recent Discussion: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,1501548
Curious because the stuff I'm using says it's 'CRC free', standard electrical contact cleaner after that available a well stocked ACE Hardware, also Lowes and OSH. No residue, cuts through electrical gunk, expensive.

Date: 10/23/07 23:47
Author: alaska

I agree that a chemical cleaner is the best way to clean track, however beware of harmful chemicals since your likely in a closed space.
I feel that the safest is rubbing alchol and CMX makes a brass tank car that you fill with rubbing alcohol which has a pad wiping down the track.
Also most nickel plated wheelsets will actually keep the track clean, just don't run the blackended kind.

Hal

Date: 10/24/07 03:24
Author: RailThunder

I wholeheartedly agree to put the bright boy down. I have used it before and it causes problems down the road. Some chemical cleaners are ok and do a good job with really dirty track initially, but down the road they can also leave a microscopic thin film which can impede electrical flow. These are also good for cleaning locomotive wheels initially too.

For extended maintainence I've actually had very good luck using Labelle # 101 oil lightly applied. The viscosity leaves a microscopic layer on the rail that conducts electrical properties very well over a long period of time. There was an article in Model Railroader in recent past about this and the application process.

I should also mention that clean locomotive wheels also lead to good operation.

Date: 10/24/07 04:40

Thanks for the replies.

Date: 10/24/07 07:24
Author: BlackWidow

Someone mentioned cleaning wheels on locomotives. I have found that is my most common electrical problem, not dirty track (once the track is in good shape). I have had good success with the Micro Mark wheel cleaner set, leave it set up all the time and regularly clean all my locomotive wheels. If there appears to be a problem with a locomotive, the first thing I do is clean the wheels and that usually resolves it.

Date: 10/24/07 09:48
Author: pepperidge

Here's my prescription for clean track:

1)Metal wheel sets.
2)Micro-Mark track cleaner on a stick.
3)Wahl clipper oil.
4)Clean locomotive wheels with alcohol or contact cleaner and a cotton swab.
5)Run trains.

Pepperidge

Date: 10/24/07 19:20
Author: TheCurator

You could build yourself a track cleaner using an old boxcar, two nails, a hot glue gun and a piece of masonite. Couple of holes drilled in the boxcar floor and there you go.

While it won't replace some of the good ideas mentioned or a good cleaning schedule, it will keep the crud buildup to a minimum.

I was quite pleased to think of this idea myself, then I discovered it had already been invented by someone a lot more famous than me. Oh well.

Date: 10/24/07 22:42
Author: tankcar

where can you get Wahl clipper oil? Thanks Norm

Date: 10/25/07 05:19

Most beauty supply stores. Try Walmart too. It is for electric hair trimmers.

Date: 10/25/07 08:24
Author: tankcar

thanks I'm going to give it a try

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds