Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Model Railroading > Let's pic some brass!!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/18/08 15:06
Let's pic some brass!!
Author: KV1guy

Ya ya I know its all been done before. But hey...if you've got brass....let's see it. Here's mine....just a couple of g-strings and a CAT powered dinosaur......

Date: 01/18/08 15:25
Re: Let's pic some brass!!
Author: MrMRL

Here is one I no longer own, fetched a good sum on eBay last year before the Athearn Genesis F45 came to fruition.

Mr. MRL

Date: 01/18/08 15:31
Author: SPSF

Here's my one and only - OMI GP30U.
And a friends GP60.

Date: 01/18/08 16:05
Author: highhood

Date: 01/18/08 16:31
Author: Frisco1522

I assume you'll let a steam engine in here? This started life as a PFM Toby Frisco 4-8-2 that I bought on ebay as a junker and stripped and started over and added a ton of new detail, including cab interior.

Date: 01/18/08 16:31
Author: Red_over_Yellow

Here are a couple, I sold the NS unit in a moment of weakness, sure wish I hadn't. The BNSF GEVO and other NS unit are remotes on grain train that was pictured here last week.

Date: 01/18/08 17:05
Author: BandOblades

What about converting an early 90s OMI SD40-2 from DC to DCC? Has anyone converted any early 90s OMI DC engine to DCC? Is it pretty easy? How precise of a soldering iron do I need to wire this, or any other DC engine to DCC? What brand name should I be looking for? What's the price range?

Thanks,

B&Oblades

Date: 01/18/08 17:33
Author: nanshant

I have the matching SD38, Conrail 6935, but can't for the life of me find the picture. Unfortunately the set is at home and I'm at school so taking another picture is a no go.

Date: 01/18/08 17:37
Author: SPSF_luvr

God, that picture hurts.

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I assume you'll let a steam engine in here? This
> started life as a PFM Toby Frisco 4-8-2 that I
> bought on ebay as a junker and stripped and
> started over and added a ton of new detail,
> including cab interior.

Date: 01/18/08 17:37

nanshant Wrote:
> I have the matching SD38, Conrail 6935, but can't
> for the life of me find the picture.
> Unfortunately the set is at home and I'm at school
> so taking another picture is a no go.

I love that combo! In the future it will be an sd40-2 slug built like that and a sd70 as a mother!! lol

Date: 01/18/08 17:54
Author: Red_over_Yellow

BandOblades Wrote:
> What about converting an early 90s OMI SD40-2 from
> DC to DCC? Has anyone converted any early 90s OMI
> DC engine to DCC? Is it pretty easy? How precise
> of a soldering iron do I need to wire this, or any
> other DC engine to DCC? What brand name should I
> be looking for? What's the price range?
>
> Thanks,
>
> B&Oblades

Earlier OMI models are no more difficult to do than any other hard wired (no plugs) conversion. A good pencil low heat (or variable) iron works best ( I use a variable weller). Wires are very light gauge. Use shrink tube on all solder joints. Foam double sided tape works well for mounting the decoder and speaker if you are using sound. Make sure all of the wires are dressed away from the spinning parts inside. Also install resistors on one leg of every light bulb driven off the decoder. Once you do a few; a no sound install takes about an hour and if you have sound it may add 15-20 minutes due to speaker mounting.

Date: 01/18/08 18:01
Author: PARKCITY

WOW!! You did a beautiful job on that engine. Does she run as good as she looks?

Jason

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> I assume you'll let a steam engine in here? This
> started life as a PFM Toby Frisco 4-8-2 that I
> bought on ebay as a junker and stripped and
> started over and added a ton of new detail,
> including cab interior.

Date: 01/18/08 18:26
Author: DMIR230

The H-1 is a Custom Brass Model which I repowered with a Maxon Motor, new PSC gearbox, and NWSL universal set, and new driver springs. Repainted with Scalecoat 1 and Microscale decals, and MV lens.

The 2806 is a OMI model which only had to get repainted and decaled and install MV lens.

The Milwaukee engines are 204 which is a OMI model, the 138 is a PSC and the 211 is another OMI model from the most recent runs.

DMIR230

Date: 01/18/08 18:36

Awesome pics DMIR!! Very timeless looking on the B&W. C&NW was a neat road. To this day...I wondered what an SD80MAC would have looked like if they had actually gotten their order.

Date: 01/18/08 19:06

Here is one of my favorite engines that I keep on display on a regular basis. With a plow like that this engine fears no cow or auto on the tracks!!!

Jason

Date: 01/18/08 19:07

Here is another one of my favorites. A Sunset Union Pacific 2-8-0. The pro paint job on this engine was beyond beautiful. I kick my self in the nuts for selling it.

Jason

Date: 01/18/08 20:20
Author: Frisco1522

She runs like a swiss watch.(1522) I replaced the Pittman motor with a strong can motor and replaced the PFM gearbox with a KTM idler box and joined the two on a torque arm.
This one, the 1045 is about 50% scratchbuilt. I built the cab, tender and streamlined pilot at the minimum and used a dissected USRA light 2-8-2 (PFM) for the boiler, a cut down Toby Frisco 4-8-2 mechanism (the 4-8-2s boiler went on the 2-8-2 mechanism after doing some boiler sectioning to make a 4100 class mike) Back then (late '60s) you had to roll your own Frisco stuff other than the 2-10-0 and 4-8-2, both good models in their own right.

Date: 01/18/08 21:04
Author: pmack

More steam of the NP variety. It has DCC and working headlight. It is not any more difficult than other non DCC ready locos. Well the headlight was but the rest was pretty straight forward.
http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/freemo/freemo.htm
specifically:
http://members.trainorders.com/pmack/freemo/060810--2425.jpg

Date: 01/18/08 21:05
Author: engine3420

Here are a couple of kit bashed brass engines...they were never offered by an importer.

Date: 01/19/08 00:24
Author: WS

UP`s LNG units.

Stefan
http://www.hdsrr.ch

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2695 seconds