Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > Stripping preassembled IM models

Date: 02/02/08 14:52
Stripping preassembled IM models
Author: leroystew

I have a few of the IM black Terra Chemical PS 4750 hopper cars. Did some research for weathering them, and just discovered IM screwed the pooch and painted them wrong. Never were black!!

So, now to strip them. Since they are assembled kits, will the 90% alcohol bath disassemble the kits? Will whatever adhesive IM (aka China) used to assemble these kits be attacked by the alcohol?

Will have to find some Islington or Highball or Oddball decals for these cars.

Thanks for the advice.

Lee

Date: 02/02/08 19:42
Re: Stripping preassembled IM models
Author: wabash2800

Hey, there is even a worse situation than that...passenger cars with glued in windows that aren't availble for you own road...

Date: 02/02/08 19:47
Re: Stripping preassembled IM models
Author: CNW

It’s interesting that you bring up the topic of Intermountain 4750s. This weekend, I decided to build seven IM 4750 kits that I had stashed away, one of which was a Terra Chemicals car. I can’t say what will happen with an assembled car, but I stripped mine using Chameleon (they will become green C&NW cars). The 91% alcohol didn’t dissolve the paint on my IM cars, but these kits are 10 or more years old, they could have used different paint back then.

Dennis

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds