Home Open Account Help 183 users online

Model Railroading > Backdrops

Date: 03/01/08 14:14
Backdrops
Author: jmj3293

I just started thinking about photo backdrops. This is a photo that was taken from #6 at Shed ten. The back drop that is! I think it looks ok but I will have to look at it for a while. Anybody have goodluck printing large backdrops taken with a digital camera???

Date: 03/01/08 15:22
Re: Backdrops
Author: chessie7602

Here are a few of my backdrops. I have used the Larc Railroad Graphics CD's to make most of them. Some are the set that are made by a company that I can't recall at this moment.

1) Hyndman, PA

2) Rockwood, PA

3) Pittsburgh, PA

Date: 03/01/08 15:23
Author: chessie7602

4) Cumberland, MD

I tried painting my own, but they just looked too cartoonish. The photo backdrops look much better. Larc's website is http://www.geocities.com/larcproducts/.

-Ken

Date: 03/01/08 15:47
Author: funnelfan

Wow! Very nice Ken!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/01/08 18:08
Author: conraildanb23-7

good job. i sure wish my layout looked as nice as yours. and i like the b&o power too!

Date: 03/01/08 19:49
Author: fjc

Hey Jerrod,nice work you've done there, are the Superlines brass cars or are they the Walthers?

As far as printing up backround prints, I have the capability of printing 13x19", what did you do for yours print yourself or have them done?

The scene looks good, I imagine as you say it will take some getting used to.

Frank

Date: 03/02/08 15:25
Author: jmj3293

I just printed a rough copy to see how it looked. I think I am going to go up to The Hill and shoot a bunck of photos and have them made. The cars are PFM that were undecs when I got them.

Date: 03/03/08 05:58
Author: Matt_Gidley

I really love the idea of background pictures instead of painting. However, it seems that most backgrounds I've seen made with photos appear washed out when you take pictures of them. There have been a couple exceptions (like the shelf railroad in Model Railroad Planning last year I think it was), but I think that is the biggest problem with photo prints. I don't know if people push the saturation to get them to look right when they are in pictures, or if they use matte paper or what.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds