Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Model Railroading > Cleaning Woodland Scenics Trees

Date: 03/13/08 07:20
Cleaning Woodland Scenics Trees
Author: sandpatch99

Model railroaders out there,

I have found a way to clean Woodand Scenics trees. Here it is:

1. Remove trees from layout.

2. Rinse them under running water (just for several seconds)

3. Afterwords, squeeze them to get as much water as you can out of them.

4. Then, quickly put them in the in a micro-wave and "cook" them for about 45 seconds.

5. After that, take them out, turn them over, and then, do step #4 again.

6. Let them dry for roughly 3 days or so (this is for letting the glue that holds the foam together dry).

7. After dry, carefully put them back on layout. If you have a lot of trees on your layout, you might smell a oder for several days.

I found this technique incredibly well. I encourage you to try it!!!

MFj\\J

Date: 03/13/08 08:12
Re: Cleaning Woodland Scenics Trees
Author: ajy6b

This is a lot of work. You would be better off going down to your local craft store or florist shop (especially if the sell silk or dry flowers) and look for some dry flower cleaner. There are different brands and they come in a pump sprayer. Follow the directions. This stuff basically eats or breaks down the dust. Try a test section or two first to see how it reacts. We have all used different types of glue in scenery so it would be best to test a small section first.

A.J.

Date: 03/13/08 19:40
Author: ohcr1551

For dust, rather than heavy goo, try this:
Put a handful of cornmeal (NOT cornstarch) or fresh scoopable cat litter in a brown paper bag. Put the tree or other scenery in the bag and shake gently until the cornmeal or litter picks up the dust. Tap the item to remove any remaining cleaner.

Works on anything you can't get wet but can't get enough dust out/off of by blowing air on it.

--Becky

Date: 03/13/08 22:00
Author: stivmac

I tried this but to speed things up, put them in the clothes dryer. Anyone want a bunch of Z scale trees?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0295 seconds