Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Model Railroading > Marklin HO compatibility

Date: 08/26/08 19:04
Marklin HO compatibility
Author: steamdiesel

Is possible to run Marklin cars with are American HO trains? I realize that the couplers will need to be changed. How about the wheelsets?

Date: 08/26/08 19:27
Re: Marklin HO compatibility
Author: rdb3

Not sure if current models are built this way, but Marklin used to have metal wheels and axles without insulation, which worked great with their "3rd rail" configuration and could easily trip signals and switches. This is obviously incompatible with the American two-rail standard, so you'd have to change out at least the axles and maybe the entire trucks if replacement axles won't fit. As I recall, though, their trucks weren't very well detailed so it might be better to just change them out.

Rick

Date: 08/27/08 08:59
Author: mgwsy1978

You can look into parts from Trix and Marklin Hamo which are both Marklin products made for 2 rail operation. I have an ICE 3 set from Trix and run it around all the time. The only problem with Marklin Wheels is that they will only run on Code 100 rail as they hit the molded spike heads on Code 83 track. I am looking at turning the flanges down on my European trains on a lathe to eliminate the problem though.

Date: 08/27/08 11:49
Author: ChS7-321

mgwsy1978 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can look into parts from Trix and Marklin Hamo
> which are both Marklin products made for 2 rail
> operation. I have an ICE 3 set from Trix and run
> it around all the time. The only problem with
> Marklin Wheels is that they will only run on Code
> 100 rail as they hit the molded spike heads on
> Code 83 track. I am looking at turning the flanges
> down on my European trains on a lathe to eliminate
> the problem though.

Most of the newer European models (Roco, Fleischmann, Hornby/Lima.Jouef) can run fine on Code 83 track. Marklin's flanges are still old-school however.

Date: 08/27/08 12:27
Author: wabash2800

I have couple of the Trix box cars (North American prototype) and they run fine on my code 70 track etc. However, though the couplers mate OK with other automatic couplers they have this weird step-up coupler. Is there a prototype for that?

So, I wonder, if I replace with Kadees I may have to do some serious adjustment in car to truck height?

Date: 08/27/08 13:06
Author: ChS7-321

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have couple of the Trix box cars (North American
> prototype) and they run fine on my code 70 track
> etc. However, though the couplers mate OK with
> other automatic couplers they have this weird
> step-up coupler. Is there a prototype for that?
>
> So, I wonder, if I replace with Kadees I may have
> to do some serious adjustment in car to truck
> height?

I'm guessing that they have the NEM box (a standard in Europe....allows for quick coupler swaps). Kadee makes several knuckle couplers for that system (#17-20).....the only difference is the length.

NEM coupler "shanks" sit much lower than the NMRA standard for the knuckle "center-line", thus the step-up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds