Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Model Railroading > Best book or DVD for beginners.

Date: 08/26/08 22:22
Best book or DVD for beginners.
Author: tucker

I'm looking for a good beginner's book or DVD but, it seems they all fall short for what I want. I would like to see a a beginner's book with a layout designed to run modern equipment (Autoracks, Superliners, 89' Boxcars) and designed to run with DCC. How about a book for beginners with just a layout designed for DCC?

Date: 08/27/08 06:45
Re: Best book or DVD for beginners.
Author: funnelfan

I'm not sure if you are going to find a book like that. Most beginner books feature small layouts not suitable for running long cars. You should probably look at the more advanced books that will give you better advise about building a layout more suited for mainline running.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/27/08 09:09
Author: stivmac

Don't be fooled into thinking that a series of articles, or a book that features a small layout can't give you valuable info. Model Railroader is doing a whole series on a starter layout. The basic principles of construction are the same, no matter what the era or size. Use those articles as a start of your education. Once you understand the basic ideas, its not hard to transfer them over to a larger layout with a different time frame. The more you read up and plan, the better your layout will be. Realize too, that most of us build several layouts before we it on our ideal. Don't be afraid to start and restart. Good Luck and have fun.

Date: 08/27/08 10:22
Author: wabash2800

I agree with Stivmac.

Also, there's a learning curve. For most of us to jump right into a large layout with advanced techniques like handlaying track, scratchbuilding structures and good scenery it takes a little time to work up to that skill level to get satisfying, reliable results.

Even the big name model railroaders with fabulous layouts will tell you that they had to work up to where they were, made mistakes along the way and didn't find their "center" in the beginning.

With that said, I'd recommend about any Kalmbach how-to-book with some beginning material but also more advanced techniques. And if you associate with other modelers that can share or teach you their skills that will help too. I don't know about you, but I usually learn better by having someone show me something and let me try it rather than reading it out of a book.

Date: 08/27/08 17:42
Author: HB90MACH

Dont forget the video series Kalmbach is doing on DVD Those dream PLan Build DVD's. SOmetimes seeing those steps demonstrated is better then a description and one or two pictures. You might want to look into those as well.
You might want to also check into the Allen Keller Great Model Railroad video series on layouts. Each video has a section that has a how to on a couple of things that particular layout owner did. Alot of those tips and tricks are simple and came make a big difference. And again, being on video helps with the description of the process.

Date: 08/28/08 09:37
Author: DRLOCO

also, you cancheck into Joe Fugate's SP models...he's done videos that explain a lot of the how to's of his layout.

http://siskiyou-railfan.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.26

as was previously mentioned, there is no one right or wrong way...in the end, it's a hobby and it should be fun! It's about the destination, not how you get there!
(Karma now aligned)
starting out by following one of the MR magazine how to's is good...those DVD's may even be available at a larger public library. I know the Indianapolis library system has them.

Welcome to the fold!

Date: 08/28/08 10:02
Author: wabash2800

Then why do I find myself sometime cussing when I'm working under the layout or something doesn't work like it should. LOL

Thank God I've got a problem solver personality. Like a farmer, it sure helps.

DRLOCO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > as was previously mentioned, there is no one right
> or wrong way...in the end, it's a hobby and it
> should be fun!

Date: 08/30/08 14:53
Author: ajy6b

The best primer for beginners is experience and trial and lots of errors. Remember, if it does not work right or you don't like it, don't be afraid to tear up your work and start over. It is better to make it right the second or third time, than it is to hodge-podge a correction to the first attempt. Also a model railroad is never complete because once you get it done you want to do something else. I belonged to a club that had a layout for almost 30 years. It never really got beyond 90 percent done as members were always changing something to it. That is the fun of model railroading.

AJ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds