Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > UP Sill Colors

Date: 09/22/08 21:23
UP Sill Colors
Author: bnsfdoug

Not being a big UP fan, I had no idea when a friend ask what the difference was between the engines with Red vs Yellow sills.

Would you UP fans give me a run down on the rational of the various sill color schemes?
Doug

Date: 09/22/08 21:52
Re: UP Sill Colors
Author: SP_8299

The yellow frame stripe is in order to comply with FRA regulations for rolling stock reflective striping. The mandated colors are either white or yellow, which means that all new and repainted UP power will have yellow frame striping in order to comply. So bye-bye red sill stripe.

PE

Date: 09/22/08 21:56
Author: up421

Traditionally UP has used red reflective sill striping.

The yellow reflective sill striping was applied starting in 2005 as the FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) required yellow or white sill striping based on studies conducted by the FRA. The old red striping did not comply with the FRA rules, so it was changed to yellow.

Here is an excerpt from the Utah Rails website maintained by Don Strack:

"2005 — Yellow Frame Stripes

In accordance with a ruling by the Federal Railroad Administration, effective on March 4, 2005, Union Pacific began application of a yellow reflectorized stripe along each and every locomotive's frame side sill. The FRA ruling called for a certain square feet of reflective material on each locomotive, freight car, and passenger car. For its locomotive fleet, Union Pacific elected to apply the needed amount of material in the form of a continuous yellow stripe. Although UP has used red Scotchlite striping since the early 1950s, FRA studies dictated that the visibility of super-reflectorized yellow stripes, and in some cases white stripes, exceeded the standard Scotchlite red stripes already used by UP. The FRA rule specifically calls for yellow "retroreflective sheeting" to be used on all applications, except where white material has already been applied."

Link to more information (scroll down to the lower part of the page):

http://www.utahrails.net/up/up-diesel-paint.php

Hope this helps.

Bob

bnsfdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not being a big UP fan, I had no idea when a
> friend ask what the difference was between the
> engines with Red vs Yellow sills.
>
> Would you UP fans give me a run down on the
> rational of the various sill color schemes?
> Doug

Date: 09/22/08 22:10
Author: NEEBAR

Why hasn't Amtrak applied the FRA mandated yellow or white stripe?

Date: 09/22/08 22:13
Author: NSDash9

The FRA reflective striping rules apply to locomotives and freight cars that operate over public and private highway grade crossings and are used for revenue or work train service. Exceptions include:

1. Freight railroads that operate only on track inside an installation that is not part of the general railroad system of transportation.

2. Rapid transit operations within an urban area that are not connected to the general system of transportation.

3. Locomotives or passenger cars used exclusively in passenger service.

Thus, Amtrak, PV cars and historical locomotives and equipment are exempt, so long as they are not used in regular freight service.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 09/23/08 08:14
Author: tomstp

I never had any trouble seeing the red reflective striping on UP units. I think the yellow or white rule is another of the FRA "we need to justify our existance" things.

Date: 09/30/08 15:58
Author: donstrack

tomstp Wrote:
> I never had any trouble seeing the red reflective
> striping on UP units. I think the yellow or white
> rule is another of the FRA "we need to justify our
> existance" things.

UP itself selected the yellow color, based on reflectivity studies that proved that yellow was equally reflective, and more reflective than red. Please remember that this is a safety issue, not a style issue.

Don Strack

Date: 09/30/08 17:55
Author: SPSF

donstrack Wrote:
> tomstp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I never had any trouble seeing the red
> reflective
> > striping on UP units. I think the yellow or
> white
> > rule is another of the FRA "we need to justify
> our
> > existance" things.
>
> UP itself selected the yellow color, based on
> reflectivity studies that proved that yellow was
> equally reflective, and more reflective than red.
> Please remember that this is a safety issue, not a
> style issue.
>
> Don Strack

Because that yellow stripe is UGLY!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds