Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Kato Speculation: BNSF Dash 9?

Date: 10/14/08 16:22
Kato Speculation: BNSF Dash 9?
Author: DeutzHDL

Has anyone heard any info about a possible new run of correct BNSF Dash 9's? I'm hoping since Kato has re-done this new batch of "9's" for UP and SP that there may be some possibility for this new model that I desperately need.

Date: 10/14/08 16:25
Re: Kato Speculation: BNSF Dash 9?
Author: NSTopHat

It would be nice to see them do that. If they are going through the trouble, I hope they do a correct NS cab as well. Also hope they do the correct sub-radiator intake grills as well. Would be ashame to go through all of that trouble for correct BNSF & NS cabs and not get the long hood right.

NSTopHat

Date: 10/14/08 21:20
Author: sp8234

If you go to the Kato website under contact you can suggest a model! I send BNSF -9s & patch BNSF (ex BN & ex Santa Fe) SD40-2s.

Tim

Date: 10/14/08 22:24
Author: DeutzHDL

Good idea and I have done that in the past with no progress. Hell I even asked BLMA to do cars for a boeing train with all the equipment. Told them I had correct current BNSF drawings for all the cars and tons of slides from two collections with all the pics they needed for views and angles for all the equipment. Asked them to just take a look at the material and consider the project. Nothing! I'm done suggesting models. Thats why we have SD40's and F units up to our ears, same ol steam, and the same old freight cars with very little new ideas coming to the table. Just my .02

Date: 10/15/08 08:20
Author: SP_8299

While Boeing cars are neat, the problem from a manufacturing standpoint is the relatively limited sales appeal, IMHO. You'd likely sell some to modelers that can use the cars in their modeling era and locale, and unless they're inexpensive enough that a casual modeler RR'er will grab some as a "hey that's cool" impulse buy at the LHS, that's likely it. Remember that doing R&D, tooling, packaging, marketing, etc. all takes money, and if you don't sell enough to recoup those costs, you won't be in business long. Heck, as an 80s-90s era SP modeler, I probably wouldn't buy any, since if they're the cars I'm thinking of, they didn't touch Espee rails (at least not the territory I follow), and I'd rather spend cash on cars I frequently saw and can use in bunches, like those new PFE R-70-20 reefers. And the reason you see so many SD40 and F-unit models is easy - there were LOTS of them built, they operated nationwide (including Canada and Mexico), and in the case of most SD40s (and even a few Fs), they're still in daily use. All of which means a LOT of potential modelers to sell to. Now I wouldn't throw up my hands and get discouraged; frankly, a project like Boeing cars sounds like something to be done in brass, or possibly resin. If you haven't already, you might want to get in touch with outfits like OMI, Wright Trak, Rail Yard Models, and so on. While there's no guarantee, you have a much better chance in seeing cars like that in brass or resin, IMHO.

PE

DeutzHDL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good idea and I have done that in the past with no
> progress. Hell I even asked BLMA to do cars for a
> boeing train with all the equipment. Told them I
> had correct current BNSF drawings for all the cars
> and tons of slides from two collections with all
> the pics they needed for views and angles for all
> the equipment. Asked them to just take a look at
> the material and consider the project. Nothing!
> I'm done suggesting models. Thats why we have
> SD40's and F units up to our ears, same ol steam,
> and the same old freight cars with very little new
> ideas coming to the table. Just my .02

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds