Home Open Account Help 162 users online

Model Railroading > Great Days at Eastbay series... Part 6B.. **KIRBY**

Date: 02/16/09 19:30
Great Days at Eastbay series... Part 6B.. **KIRBY**
Author: KeyRouteKen

When one thinks of the old layouts of EASTBAY on HALLECK Street and the subject comes up about scratch-built TRACTION models, a number of long deceased members come to mind ...

All of these members were far ahead of their time during the years they enjoyed their hobby. During the years that Ken Harrison and Ken Shattock(ME) were active in the Club, there was an African-American gentleman who visited with us a number of times and who lived in Hayward, California.

His name was "Kirby L. Churchill"-- a heavy equipment operator for the Alameda County Flood Control District.
A gentleman who always had a broad smile on his face, who had a great laugh that wouldn't quit and who enjoyed his ever present cigars.

In those early days, it might have appeared strange for a guy like Kirby to want to join a "white majority" train club.
But join he did-- and he was the greatest member EASTBAY ever had--always joking, always laughing and always ready to help the inexperienced modeler. After retiring from the Flood Control District, "Kirby" started driving charter buses for Bill Billings' "Eastshore Lines".. "Bill" was a founding member of the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association. It was also ironic that Bill chose the name for his BUS company that was the same for member "Paul Icanberry's " railroad: "Eastshore Lines" ...

Anyway, "Kirby" started building scratch-built models of Sacramento Northern interurban cars in "HO"-scale ...
He later devoted all of his talents to building traction cars in the larger O-scale ... They looked like "works of art".. They were beautiful.. They were highly detailed to no end. They were PERFECT.. and, they were built by a wonderful individual by the name of "Kirby Churchill"--

Kirby loved to see and photograph UP 844 as well as Milwaukee electrics at Avery, ID and Harlowton, MT.. He made trips up North to see these on numerous occasions.

Sadly, God called our "Kirby" home in October--2002.
Here is a tribute I wrote in T.O. in March--2003:

""Last October(2002), the railfan fraternity and model railroad fraternity lost my dear personal friend, "Kirby L. Churchill" from Hayward, CA..
Well known in the modeling field for scratch building absolutely stunning models of 'Sacramento Northern' and "Key System" interurban cars.
Kirby was an African-American gentleman but "race" never entered the picture. He was loved and accepted by everyone he met. He filmed and rode MANY of the early day UPRR 844 trips, and was an avid fan of the Milwaukee Road electrics which he also filmed and rode behind.
A very likeable and jolly guy, with a great sense of humor.. Kirby was a member for many years of the old Eastbay Model Engineers Society in Oakland. May he rest in peace!!"

In Memory of Kirby L. Churchill I would like to give all of you a "look back" at his many, many O-scale traction models..
I hope you enjoy seeing what he created with his bare hands!!

Date: 02/16/09 20:00
Re: Great Days at Eastbay series... Part 6B.. **KIRBY**

Three more photos of Kirby's craftsmanship...

Date: 02/16/09 20:02

Still another three photos of Kirby's beautiful models...

Date: 02/16/09 20:06

I've never gotten tired looking at the great traction models of the late "Kirby Churchill" ...

And as a fitting memorial to a great human being and a great modeler, I present you with a look at a special display case in his honor at the new site of EBMES//GSMRM at Point Richmond, CA ...

Thanks for letting me share my memories of "Kirby" !!

Ken Shattock (KRK)

Date: 02/16/09 22:17
Author: DNRY122

I notice that in addition to SN models, Mr. Churchill covered my "home road": Pacific Electric, down to the C-80-P trucks under Box Motor 1450. Thanks for sharing!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0639 seconds