Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Model Railroading > module hight?

Date: 03/10/09 19:15
module hight?
Author: gp74444

ok whats a good hight for a module ? The one in the photo is 50" with out the casters and they will had 3 more inches. I was going to cut the legs down 3" and keep the 50" hight but looking at it it just might be to high .any thoughts!

Rich

Date: 03/10/09 19:36
Re: module hight?
Author: aehouse

The railhead height of my layout, including basic modules, subroadbed, roadbed, and track is 54 inches. That's a perfect height for me, but then I'm pretty tall (6 foot 1 inch). All the modules are constructed on two-foot wide hollow core doors.

Art House

Date: 03/10/09 19:38
Author: tracktime

50" from floor to top of rail is what we use as part of the Free-mo HO modular standard. The module height you select may depend if you plan on combining your modules with those of others.

Best Regards,
Harry
http://www.free-mo.org

Date: 03/11/09 08:13
Author: GCRY_4960

The layout that a friend of mine and I built was 48" high.

Date: 03/11/09 09:48
Author: retcsxcfm

Do you want to look at it from an airplane or trackside?

Uncle Joe

Date: 03/11/09 09:55
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Check the MNRA web site for the "standard" height, just in case you travel with your module to another "club"

Date: 03/11/09 11:08
Author: Clarence

Height depends on if you want to use your module with other peoples modules. If so you have to use the same height they use. Same goes for track position at end of module, width, electrical, maybe scenery too. There's a bunch of standards out there: NMRA, Free-mo, NCS&SS, local groups. If you don't plan to connect to other people you can set the height to whatever works for you, which probably depends on your personal height.
Clarence

Date: 03/11/09 11:31
Author: KoloradoKid

Our local N scale group went to 53 inches and its too tall for me, and I'm 5-8. 50 inches seems to be what most modular groups are going to, except N-Trak of course.

KK

Date: 03/11/09 16:29
Author: gp74444

I have not made up my mind yet if im going to do the club thing. I was getting some ideas if i made up my mind to join a club . I still have to work out the wiring thing .

Rich

Date: 03/11/09 16:53
Author: up833

My first major layout was from 48-52" from the floor. It will give you a Gods Eye View of rail ops and I got tired of it. So my current layout is about 57" and thats good to watch trains go by in front of your face ( I am 5'10").
But I would say there isnt a right height unless you are trying to mateup with another section. Its only whats right for you and how you want to view your layout.

Date: 03/12/09 01:04
Author: Scoopcat

If You do join a club and its too tall shortening the legs is an easy fix. Lengthening the legs is much harder to do. Steve

Date: 03/12/09 05:29
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Scoopcat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If You do join a club and its too tall shortening
> the legs is an easy fix. Lengthening the legs is
> much harder to do. Steve

Unless you use nuts and bolts for the legs. What most people use, remove to transport.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds