Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Model Railroading > HO Scale Ribbon Rail Train

Date: 04/19/09 00:29
HO Scale Ribbon Rail Train
Author: cchan006

A model railroader friend (who's a retired hogger) decided to build a ribbon rail train based on the ones seen at Cajon Pass during the 3 track main project.

The video was recorded at the Alameda County Central Railroad Society's (ACCRS) layout in Pleasanton, California inside the Alameda County Fairgrounds.

The doublestack train seen in the video is mine, loosely modeling the Lathrop Shuttle (ILTLT) with a DCC Spectrum Dash 8 on the point. http://www.trainorders.com//avshare/thumbnails//3123-medium.jpg

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/19/09 08:41
Re: HO Scale Ribbon Rail Train
Author: Mari789

Very nice videeo, thanks.

Date: 04/20/09 09:59
Author: milwrdfan

What did he use to simulate the rail? I'm assuming that it's not real rail, as in HO gauge I can't imagine it to be flexible enough to work around curves like his does.

Date: 04/20/09 15:14
Author: up421

The owner of the Ribbon Rail Train in the photos and video is a friend of mine, as is the photographer.

The owner of the train said that the rail used on the cars is a flexible plastic beam that is painted to match rusty rail. I believe that he said he used Plastruct for the rail. Actual metal rail is not flexible enough to allow for the train to take switches, curves or crossovers. The train seems to track very well, I saw it running when the video was being recorded. The train looks great running on the layout.

I don't know which flat cars he used for the train.

Bob

milwrdfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What did he use to simulate the rail? I'm
> assuming that it's not real rail, as in HO gauge I
> can't imagine it to be flexible enough to work
> around curves like his does.

Date: 05/23/09 09:11
Author: Arved

The hand brake supports give them away as Athearn flat cars. Very clever using plastic rail! Can't seem to find it in the Plastruct catalog, though.

Warmest regards,
- Arved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/09 13:05 by Arved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds