Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Model Railroading > bulkhead flat car

Date: 05/09/09 08:40
bulkhead flat car
Author: CSXSD80MAC

hi all,
does anybody know the size of wheels that go on the bulkhead flat car? i have a few of them and was just wondering what type of wheels go on them. i have the old roundhouse cars.

thank you,
nelson

Date: 05/09/09 08:44
Re: bulkhead flat car
Author: toledopatch

36"

Date: 05/09/09 10:34
Author: Charles

36" may be correct for the prototype, but most freight car models use 33", especially the older ones.

Date: 05/09/09 10:54
Author: leroystew

It depends, is the bulkhead flat car a 100 ton car or a 70 ton car? The wheel size will depend on that. I think I have 33" wheels in my Roundhouse bulk cars since they are not 100 ton cars.

CSXSD80MAC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi all,
> does anybody know the size of wheels that go on
> the bulkhead flat car? i have a few of them and
> was just wondering what type of wheels go on them.
> i have the old roundhouse cars.
>
> thank you,
> nelson

Date: 05/09/09 11:00
Author: toledopatch

If I recall correctly, most of the Roundhouse cars have lettering for about 90-ton capacity, so prototypically they should have 36-inch wheels. What the kits came with is sort of irrelevant to the question, especially since I don't think any of those Roundhouse kits, regardless of prototype weight, came with 36-inch wheels. Many of those kits also rode low, so the bigger wheels actually are favorable for proper coupler height.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/09 11:00 by toledopatch.

Date: 05/09/09 12:19
Author: TCnR

I seem to remember there is a clearance problem with that model as well, the 36 inch wheels can cause problems on tight curves. Of course with this design the 33 inch wheels cause problems if the curve is tight.
When they first came out there was talk that the car was too close to the prototype dimensions and the layout curves where tighter than prototype, which caused trouble. But it's been a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/09 12:21 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds