Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Model Railroading > Great Days at Eastbay ... The Lost Episodes. Pt.2

Date: 08/08/09 07:32
Great Days at Eastbay ... The Lost Episodes. Pt.2
Author: KeyRouteKen

***KEN SHATTOCK*** (aka "KRK"...)

Hi everybody---
I located some more old photos of scenes from the old Halleck Street location (Emeryville,CA) of the Eastbay Model Engineers Society. Oh WOW!!! These feature ME!!
How 'bout that !! I may have run these at some point before, particularly the LAST one-- but wanted to share them anyway.
I also have a couple of the late "Kirby Churchill" which will be displayed soon...

Photo 1. Here I am at the South end of the O-scale layout. This was a big room-- 130 x 75 feet..
I have climbed up on top of the layout in order to reach a pair of stricken Interurban cars on the "Oakland, Antioch & Eastern" trolley line.
The bridge and pile trestle in the foreground was known as "Shell Point". This trestle was HUGE and I don't think it was saved when the club moved to Richmond.
The structure in the distance was at the junction of the mainline and the "CONCORD" reverse loop.

Photo 2. Here I am again on top of the layout fooling around with these cars that were acting up for some reason. The layout was built strong enough to walk on IF you knew where to step.
The mountains in the background are part of "Meade Canyon"-- named after the individual that spent six months in that spot building it...

Photo 3. "Suzie Shattock" (Mrs. "KRK") admires a five-car "Sacramento Northern" train (built by the late 'Kirby Churchill') in the "OAKLAND" Yard on the OA&E layout at Eastbay...
"Kirby" built dozens of these cars.. They were absolutely stunning !!
"Suzie" and I had only recently gotten married--that was over 36 years ago when the photo was taken.
I found out that 'her' paternal grandfather (William Herzog) was a Station Agent on both the SOO and Milwaukee Roads. Ah, Ha!! A RR lady!!
One of the agent locations "Bill" was at was Olivia, MN. He was also at Cogswell in the Dakotas.

The trolley wire seen in the photo was originally 24-gauge phospher bronze "fishing cable" from the Hackensack Cable Co. in Hackensack, NJ.. It "hung" very realistically but if a tiny piece of the "braided" cable unraveled, it could dewire your poles or rip off a "pan".. Later on, we used "solid" phospher bronze or nickel silver wire which we could get in either one pound or five pound spools.

Photo 4. Here I am at the North end of the layout, repairing overhead wire where the 3-track section ran down the paved streets of Sacramento. The famous "North Tower" control point was off to the right of the photo.
In the foreground, note the simple "wire height" gauge I had made. A simple trailer truck with a half-inch dowel mounted in the center of it.
The average wire height was 5.5 inches (22 feet, such as used on SP-IER "Red Electrics")...

Photo 5. This photo has been seen many times before, but because it is "yours truly", I'll just run it again. (he,he) ...
Ken Shattock (KRK) at the controls in "ANTIOCH" Yard operating O-scale traction equipment. Note the large bridge in the foreground.
How many of you remember THAT big bridge when you first entered the clubrooms from the street so many, many years ago ??

Well, that's it for this memory walk back in time.
Hope you liked the photos. I'll keep looking for more.
I'm sure old Walt in Sausalito will enjoy them too.
(grin)

Cheers.

KRK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/09 18:19 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 08/08/09 07:35
Re: Great Days at Eastbay series... The Lost Episodes..
Author: KeyRouteKen

Here are Photos 4 and 5...

KRK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0699 seconds