Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > SW-1500 Stanchions

Date: 08/16/09 11:45
SW-1500 Stanchions
Author: ekko

As my first detailing project, I've begun work on an old Athearn Blue Box SW-1500. Not sure which locomotive I'll represent yet, perhaps UP 1183 or UP 1215.

After accumulating a pile of parts, I finally began hacking at the plastic shell this weekend. In the photo below, you can see my attempt at replacing some of the grills with brass from Plano. The fan needs work (it's just made from scrap styrene), but perhaps it will look better under a coat of paint and hidden behind some yet-to-be built louvers!

I've had good luck tracking down just about everything I need with the exception of handrail stanchions. Can anyone recommend a good source to fit an SW-1500?

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Date: 08/16/09 12:27
Re: SW-1500 Stanchions
Author: drgwguy

Not sure on stanchions, but I would imagine that any old Smokey Valley stanchions for 2nd gen EMDs would work.......maybe someone else can back me up......?

Great work on the radiator assembly! I think it looks amazing!

Thanks for sharing, and keep me updated on the progress,

Rick
http://www.fourrocksmodelworks.com

Date: 08/16/09 13:24

Thanks for the compliment, Rick!
I'll have to see if I can track down any Smokey Valley products. I hear they're tough to find.
Nate

Date: 08/16/09 13:56
Author: drgwguy

They can be.....but if you don't mind eBay, they CAN be found, that's where I'd had my luck. Also, some may still exist at Caboose Hobbies in Denver,CO. You can place orders over the phone, or internet, if they show it 'in stock' on their website.

Good luck,
Rick
http://www.fourrocksmodelworks.com

Date: 08/16/09 17:00
Author: rschonfelder

If they are U shaped stanchions (in profile) then use the Smokey Valley ones. However, I can recommend the humble staple for making these if they are more of a first generation look. You will need to straighten them, solder them to the railing and zing off the excess with your Dremel. Place a piece of tin foil underneathe the railing while soldering to catch the solder spray to protect your model. I had the method shown to me when I was a teenager by a fellow who used to win modeling contests. This was the late 70ies era when all we had for base models was the Athearn model and those wide stanchions and pre-bent piano wire that came with it.

I believe the Planodude has been trying for quite sometime to come up with an etching replacement for the U shaped stanchion. The SVM stanchions are needed in the detailing realm.

Another brand you can search for on eBay is the PFM stanchions.

Rick

Date: 08/16/09 17:32
Author: HB90MACH

The fan actually looks really good. IT looks like that unit will turn out really good.
Shane

Date: 08/16/09 18:27
Author: Betsy

Looks very good thus far. Based on experience, I wouldn't sweat the fan too much. The shutters themelves are either fully open or closed, and even with them open you won't be able to see much of the fan after everything is painted. I am curious about what happened to the numberboard though...

Smokey Valley makes a handrail stanchion set for the SW1500, they are all deck-mounted stanchions. They can be a bit hard to find, though Smokey Valley is still in business.

Elizabeth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/09 19:44 by Betsy.

Date: 08/16/09 18:55

Well, the numberboard was lopped off in the process to both remove the molded grill and rebuild the numberboard itself. Still hoping that was a good idea!

The pics I found online for UP 1215 show that the Athearn stock numberboard just won't do:
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=22399
Here's a better angle on UP 1201:
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=31584

The light is off-set and there a big space where a numberboard used to be. Not sure if I'll make the replacement from scratch or try to fudge with the leftovers from the plastic surgery.

I did a little more work tonight, but I'll save pics for another weekend.

Cheers and thank you for the encouragement!
Nate

Date: 08/18/09 15:42
Author: NSDTK

With a fan like that all you need is a micro motor and make it turn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds